• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gauge/Sending unit problem!

STCamaro69

Reaction score
City, State
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I started out yesterday with a full tank of gas; gauge reading full. At a stop light I watched the fuel gauge go to below empty in a split second and stay there for the rest of my commute to work. Message center reading "--- miles to empty". I pulled the negative battery cable for awhile in hopes to reset this problem...didn't work. On the way back home, the service engine soon light came on. When I got home I again pulled the batt. cable to reset the light, started the truck, no light anymore, then after about 1 minute the light returned back on. took it to Advance Auto for a code read...says "fuel evel sensor high output".
Today the wife took it to the dealer. They verified the sending unit was bad. They gave us the bad news. $1200!!:eek: They said about $500 for the fuel pump/sending unit assembly...5 1/2 hrs labor. I'm sick!!:mad: I've owned this truck less than a year and already will have spent $2000 on it for repairs. The other repair was the torque converter seal was leaking...$800 to drop the tranny and replace a $4 seal!!
I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can buy a fuel pump sender assembly for a 2002 XLT at Autozone for about $225-$250.

Hardest part is draining the full tank load, so drive it till its almost empty. Any local automotive repair shop can replace it for about $200 labor.

Agreed with Borland. Drive till the light comes on. Then a little more. I don't know your skill level or interest in doing the work, but since you're not in the "rust belt" it wouldn't be too hard to do it yourself. Park it at home and either siphon the fuel or let it run till she's dry. jack it up, drop the tank, replace the sender, then put it back. Even the infuriatingly vague Haynes manual will help if you've never done it before. Plus the forum is always here.

Does anybody know WHICH part number? I have an 02 EXP, that was built in AUG 2001. Apparently, it depends if your vehicle was built ON or BEFORE 5/12/2002. So, there are 2 different parts at BOTH ROCK AUTO and at AUTOZONE. An (AF)E2338M and an (AF)E2339. Does anyone know which part fits mine ? Thanks !

Does anybody know WHICH part number? I have an 02 EXP, that was built in AUG 2001. Apparently, it depends if your vehicle was built ON or BEFORE 5/12/2002. So, there are 2 different parts at BOTH ROCK AUTO and at AUTOZONE. An (AF)E2338M and an (AF)E2339. Does anyone know which part fits mine ? Thanks !

Dawg, I know if you send an email to www.silverstatefordparts.com and include your VIN they will tell you what part to order. I did this to order my 4x4CM. Remember that? Hope this helps.

I had exactly the same problem. Turns out it was a bad connection in the, what I call, chassis to dashboard connector which, in my '04 Sport Trac, is located about 7 inches on an angle behind the fuse panel. About 70 wires coming and going. May be worth a try. My connector was sorta chewed up from someone trying to do something with it with maybe a large screwdriver or something.

How do you know exactly what to check? My gage isn't working correctly. I did the gage sweep which worked fine. My gage was stuck at 1/4 tank all week after moving slowly from F to 1/2 over the weekend, which it would randomly climb back up to full. I know when you put in 19 gallons you're not a 1/4 tank of gas. I had the check engine light come on with a P0463 code after doing the gage sweep, reset the code and it hasn't come back on since. So far I've put in four tanks of gas. Any info would be great on what to check and where the connectors/wires are located.

Ford fuel gauge - sending unit & fuel pump issues.

We all need to report this problem to the NHTSA. If they get enough complaints, perhaps a recall will be issued or law suit started....I reported it already. Get on board at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

I did a Ford Windstar the other day. There was a connector down by the fuel tank next to the fuel filter. You could check resistance there on the sender circuit. Changing out a fuel pump assembly is really not that hard. I can do it in around two hours.

Oh, and the best place to get a good price on a fuel pump is Amazon.com.

Thanks GDawg, I'll have to check that out. I'm just not sure if it is the fuel pump/sending unit. The gage works but you can tell its off. Like I've currently gone 200 miles on this tank so far and it says I'm at half a tank. It seems like it's working from full to half now.

Thanks GDawg, I'll have to check that out. I'm just not sure if it is the fuel pump/sending unit. The gage works but you can tell its off. Like I've currently gone 200 miles on this tank so far and it says I'm at half a tank. It seems like it's working from full to half now.

You can run the tank down on gas and then while filling it your can watch the resistance on the sender's circuit coming directly from the sender and see if the resistance changes smoothly. I can find out the Ohm range for you. I think it's usually high resistance low fuel level and low resistance high fuel level.

Explorer fuel gauge/miles to empty/widows/entertainment center

Before you remove/replace fuel tank and sending unit. Check the #17 15amp fuse in the passenger compartment fuse panel underneath drivers instrument panel. In 2005 owners guide the fuse is labeled "delayed accessory relay coil"
I wished I'd check it first. Replacing a 75 cent fuse fixed everything.

05 - would this be the same in a 2010? My check engine light came on, so I had it checked at Autozone. The code came back P0462, "Definition: Fuel level sending unit condition; Explanation: Poor electrical connection at the fuel level sending unit. Probable cause: Failed fuel level sending unit".

Back