2nd Installed Tranny Same Problem HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Installed Tranny Same Problem HELP!!!

ExploringNC

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hickory, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT, '91 EB
My tranny went out so I got a low mileage A4LD from a 94. Installed it drove about 8 miles then all of a sudden it has no forward or reverse, just revs up with very slight movement. When I shift into R or any other gear it grabs the gear like it should but when I press on gas it goes nowhere. Took it out and TC is full of what sounds like many little pieces. Yard I got it from delivered another tranny (also from 94 I think) an hour out of his way to replace it. Installed 2nd tranny last night and it drove great for about 20 miles then same exact problem. Now it sits stranded on side of road. What in the would am I doing wrong??????? TC is seated all the way in, I made sure tranny mated up without forcing it, seated flush easily and still had a little play bolting TC to fly wheel so I know I got it on right. I don't know what else to do, I'm getting very frustrated and very tired of late nights not to mention this is my only ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No 4x4 lights and no codes. When I took the first replacement tranny out after it failed the TC was full of debri, couldn't dump any of it out but it rattle inside. Second one I'll find out tonight. I've been hearing other stories of X owners going threw 2-3 used trannies before one holds together, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just luck of the draw when installing a used tranny without it rebuilt. Are these trannies that fragile that it works before it's removed but just can't take all jostling around going from one truck to another?

Well I guess threes a charm, finally got one to hold up. I think the TC gave out on the first two, they both sounded like they granaded inside, many small pieces. The yard I got the first two really came threw on the third one. They just happened to get in a burnt out 94 that this lady had just paid $1800 to have hers rebuilt (even had a half readable reciept) and less than 200 miles she had a fuel leak and the thing burnt up. Gave me this at no extra charge, said they felt bad about all the work on the first two and wanted to make it right. Kudos for R&D Salvage out of Shelby, NC now I know a respectable yard that I can go too. Now I can go play in the mountains this weekend, time to shed this cabin fever.

Back