• Register Today It's free!

Reinforced TTB

Tired Iron

Reaction score
City, State
Black Daimond, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 sport
Today I went for my first romp at Evans Creek with my newly lifted 93 xlt. I found out what i can't go over, short stumps! I'm pretty sure I bent my front TTB, drive side. I finished the day of wheeling with no issues not really knowing if it was bent or not, now I see the the passenger side axle shaft has been rubbing where it goes through the arm portal. does this affect the transfere case by shoving the driveline too far back? does anybody ever weld a stiffener brace across the front member, It seems like a potential problem area for miss-guessing your clearances. I can't believe I didn't take it easy and creep up to the stump, I just plowed it. It didn't move either. I hadn't had it in for an alignment yet but the steering wheel is definatly crooked now on the pavement.

It didn't crack anything, no leaks, still wheels really good, I am loving my x more than ever and I have a donor rig for the new front end stuff, and I will pay alot more attention to what's in front of me from now on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you can weld a brace across the front of it (this is actually common on trucks built for prerunning). However I don't think the brace would make a good substitute for simply watching out for where you're going. ;)

LOL

If you find any pictures, or re-enforcement of the D35 TTB post them up here...

oh yeah...check out the Pacific NW section, there are quite a few guys in the area to go wheelin' with...

Ryan

If you have enough suspension travel the shaft will rub on the axle beam window at full droop or stuff.

We used a torch to cut the window open some more and we are still getting some rub there so I'll have to go back into that again and take some more out.

Also, Check closely for cracks. I don't think I've seen one bent yet, but I've seen them cracked. When we put in the extended arms We found more than 7 cracks on the axle beams.

This seems to be the common spot. Even my spare set has this crack..
4164430365_5b18298ce9.jpg

~Mark

I don't find any cracking in the area in the picture. In an attempt to make the truck drivable for a while, I thought I'd try something. I chained a potra power to the axle and pumped it up and found the axle is pretty easy to manipulate. I bent it back to where I could poke my fingers behind the axle in the window portal area. I chained from the pivot end, around the back of the hydraulic ram (under the rear of the engine) to the outside of the axle near the spring mount. I put the front of the ram alongside of the pumpkin.
I have no illusions that this is a permanent fix, but it will buy some time and could be helpful out on the trail. a desperate man could do it with a hi-lift jack. so there's your trail fix tip of the day.

If I could figure out how to stick a picture here, I would do that.

Check out Camburg beams, or Solomotorsports beams. I've plated, boxed, and trussed my beams and have not had issues. I had a buddy do the same thing you did but to a big ass rock. It took a bit to straigten the beam but it was scrapped shortly after.

Learn how to drive...? (j/k) I've been through evans several times and the only suspension part I've killed was a badly built duff radius arm.

Back