Gas cap light/p0456/p0455

terrapin24h

Reaction score
City, State
rochester, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 sport trac
All--
My first post ever! First i want to say thanks for a great forum. I've learned alot about the EX by just reading through all the posts. Now on to the meat of my post!

A week or so ago, our 2007 V6 threw a "gas cap loose" light or MIL. I had the code read at a parts store and got a P0456(evap-small leak). On goes a new gas cap. 3 days later still no love, but a new problem. I noticed that everytime i accelerated(Eng vac would go down) i would hear a hissing sound. After poking my head around, i discover the sound coming from the vacuum bottle under the pass side of the dash that "powers" the HVAC vac motors for vents and such. So i trace the lines around and dont see anything broke or disconnected. I trace the lines through the firewall and into the eng compartment, and happen across a crappy little check valve. Long story short, this valve ended up being the issue. While i was trying to track one down, I got a check engine light, that resulted in a P0455(large leak). About the same time, my AC would spontaneously switch from vents to defrost. Now i knew i was on to something. I could not find a check valve that was identical to the factory valve; the only ones i could find had a fat nipple and a skinny nipple, so i slid a piece of small vac tubing over the skinny nipple to make the vac line fit snugly. I then added hose clamps to each side to further ensure a snug fit. 4 days now and no light!

Hypothesis:
when the evap mgmt valve was open as part of a cycle test, AND engine vac dropped, the bottle would have the most vac, which would result in a "rush" of vapor/air to equalize the pressure. Then when the VMV would close it would see less press in the system than it thought it should resulting in the conclusion that there was a leak somewhere in the evap system. The resulting equalization would result in the vac motors for the vents "closing" causing the flaps to return to a home position. Then once the engine pumped the vapor out of the tank vac got re applied and the vents returned to thier proper state. Note that early on, I DID NOT hear or notice any other wierd behaviour. It was only after the problem had existed for a few days that I heard the hissing sound.

I put a vac pump on the old check valve, and it held until i got over 20in-hg. Then it would leak down to about 19 or so.

Pretty funny though, how the hvac controls could affect the evap control system.

Hope someone else gets some use out of this!

--chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris: Good - and interesting post. Mine is "somewhat" similar (and not yet resolved).
'07 EB with the 4.6 V8. CEL came on first - I have a code reader - code was 0446 -- cleared code since it was middle of Winter. Then, all of a sudden, the "gas cap loose" showed up. Thinking - HMM - maybe THAT was the problem - replaced gas cap thinking the old one was not actually sealing since it definitely WAS on tight! No more "loose gas cap" shows up - but that darn CEL shows up right away after being cleared - and still code is 0446. ?????

well, looks like i spoke too soon, my CEL just came back on during my ride into work. I thought i had made it passed the required # of drive cycles, guess not. I've ordered a new code reader, i guess ill have to start from scratch. Anyone have any advice?

--chris

The evap system is a pain. Take it to someone with a smoke setup to test for leaks then go from there.

Update--
I removed the new gas cap and re installed the original factory one and then cleared the code. As of yet, i have no lights. My innova 3160 tells me that the evap test has run and is giving me a "green" light for emissions readiness and no pending codes, so it looks like the issue was two fold--first the check valve causing the p0456(small leak) then the inferior aftermarket gas cap causing a p0455(large leak/no flow) I continue to monitor the truck with the 3160 in "record data on dtc trigger" mode. But if i make it to the weekend im going to call it fixed and hopefully the light will stay off.

--chris

Is your problem still clear? I'm having issue right now with the gas cap / Evap large leak. Not looking forward to troubleshooting.

trojan19--
Yes, it's still good. It looks like my 0455 was caused by the inferior aftermarket gas cap i bought trying to troubleshoot the 0456 caused by the weepy HVAC vac check valve. PM me your email address, I have some materials that i can email that might help you out.

--chris

Ran the same gauntlet on my Ex...

When I took it in to get inspected the station ran a gas cap vacuum test.. The "new" cap from Autozone failed... It was 3 months old.. I still had the old factory cap and they tested it... It failed...

Of course they could sell me a new cap for an outrageous amount of cash but iwanted them to test the cap before I bought it.. So they found a new cap and tested it and it passed the vacuum test...

So I bought the thing and it wasn't that high...Plus I took the AZ cap back and got a refund...And so far no P0455 pending or stored codes either which I had been fighting the last few weeks...

If you have to do an emissions test during the vehicle inspection process, you might get the inspection to do the vacuum test on your cap before you go in and see if the cap is working properly...

Update on the gas tank cap and P0455

It is no more!!! After cycling the truck 3 days after getting my inspection sticker, I have no pending or stored code for P0455... I DO have a P0303 misfire #3 but that is about to get fixed tomorrow byt replacing my injectors...One or more of them either don't flow or leak fuel for the first 15-30 secs at startup after the truck has been sitting for a few days...

My evap system still hasn't completed in the I/M readiness monitor yet but at least I don't have a code waiting to light the MIL light...

Back