Shifting into Park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting into Park

schach23

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the board, have been reading, and searching, so forgive me if I overlooked this.

I just purchased an 04 Limited V8 with 50K miles on it. Real nice condition. It has the rear whine only under load, so I know about that.

The only other issue is shifting into park. After driving, when I slow down and attempt to shift into park, it gets caught at R, so I have to stop then continue into P. So I cannot shift from Drive to Park in one motion. Is this anything to worry about? Otherwise shifts fine while in Drive.

Thanks

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '04 has done that for 80k miles.

Hello,

New to the board, have been reading, and searching, so forgive me if I overlooked this.

I just purchased an 04 Limited V8 with 50K miles on it. Real nice condition. It has the rear whine only under load, so I know about that.

The only other issue is shifting into park. After driving, when I slow down and attempt to shift into park, it gets caught at R, so I have to stop then continue into P. So I cannot shift from Drive to Park in one motion. Is this anything to worry about? Otherwise shifts fine while in Drive.

Thanks

Scott

I am not familiar with that problem and do not recall hearing about it on the board. I would check it out for sure. Anything that puts stress on the shifter mechanism would concern me, due to some of these fracturing in service.

My 03 that I just bought a couple of months ago does that as well, but it gets stuck in the middle of P and R. I'd love to hear how to fix it.

Mine as well, I just figured I had to resolve to doing it in two segments... first to R then to P, I have to pull it towards me a bit to get it in.

Same issue on my 2002 explorer. When I bought it several years back, the used car salesman actually had the gull to tell me this was a feature, which seemed absurd. I did however get a better price when I complained about it. Would love to hear how others have fixed this.

Has anyone had the BSI replaced? I looked over the TSB, and it looks straight forward. Wonder how much this would cost?

What would happen if I didn't fix it? TSB's are not usually safety issues, if they were, then a recall would occur.

So far on my 2 week old used 04 explorer, I now have two apparently unfixed TSB's, rear axle ring and pinion and now this. Should have done my research before buying this thing.

Scott

The answer to your question is in the first link:

"FYI, I removed the covering for my shift column, as described in the TSB, and the original BSI switch (Shift Solenoid?) works fine.

When the brake pedal is pressed the little pin in the BSI retracts and allows the shift lever mechanism to come out of Park and go into the desired gear. When pressure is taken off the brake pedal the BSI pin extends and locks the lever into place.

I also looked at what was happening on the top of the column and nothing was obviously out of whack.....of course.

So, the problem described in the original post, of having a tough time getting back into Park, is not solved for me...yet. "

The solution may be the post immediately following:

"We had the very same problem. I took the plastic housing off of the steering column to investigate. the problem IS the "brake lock", but not with the lock itself. If you look closely at where the break lock "pin" makes contact with the gear selector assy (just behind the ignition key) you will probably find that the brake lock "pin" has worn a very small "pit" in the "slide" section (for lack of a better name) of the gear selector and as you try to move the gear selector from D, N, R etc. into Park the break lock pin gets caught in this little worn pit.

I was able to disconnect a linkage or two (including the actual gear selector handle and the small diameter cord that connects to the gear position indicator in the instrument cluster, this allows you to move the part with the "pit" freely to help with filing) and take a flat jewelers file and file the pit out without taking this completely out of the column. I was initially going to take it completely out to do this but quickly found that it was pretty much impossible with out dissassembling the entire steering column. But with a little patience and a little elbow grease i was able to get the pit filed out. it didn't take much time. ours is now working perfectly."

So I was able to get to the shift mechanism, and see where the pin made a "pit" and tried filing it down with the smallest file I had (round one, not a jeweler file as mentioned). I wasn't able to fix the problem, probably because one would need a fine flat file. It was still getting caught up where I had filed with my rougher round file.

I was thinking, instead of filing, could I stick some sort of thin material (sticky on one side), smooth on the side that would come in contact with the pin from the BSI. I think it's a friction thing. I need the flat surface to be smooth so the pin can glide on it as you move the shifter into park.

Any thoughts on what I could use instead of filing?

Scott

Scott can you take a pic of the pitted area? This would benefit many as this is a common problem.

Scott, I too just tackled the shift problem a few days ago. I saw the BSI actuator pin had made a pit on the shift mechanism, and used a dremmel with a rounded diamond grind tip to smooth the pit. Took a total of about 1 minute to remove the pit.

Having done that my 02 explorer, the shifter would no longer get jamed between reverse and park. BUT, the problem was not fixed. Although it wouldn't get jammed between park and reverse, it would still "hit a wall" if I tried to shift too fast. I had to shift SLOWLY to get it into drive without hanging. If I didn't, the actuator pin would hit the shift mechanism before the pin retracted. So I went and bought a new BSI switch (5L2Z-3Z719-A) for $78, installed, and now it works perfectly!

Hmmmm.... the post that was quoted earlier simply said that if I fix the pit, I would fix the problem, and since I thought I fixed the pit (but didn't make the surface smooth enough) I would fix my problem. Maybe it really is the BSI switch!!! Well, I'll try to smooth the surface a bit more, then if that doesn't work I'll get a new switch.

Thanks

Scott

Ok, so I will try to post some pictures. It is a tight area, so it is tough to take nice perfect pictures. All you have to do is take off the outer housing of the column. Then just behind the ignition is the BIS. Just over it is the shifter. The BIS is spring loaded. You can pull it down, let go and it springs up. All of this with out the key in. Make sure you have the parking break on. You can shift with the BIS pulled down. The area of interest is the up angled spot on the shifter. You would need to shift the truck into D1, D2, or D3 to see. Shine a flashlight in there, and you'll see the small pit. I tried to file it down, but I think the metal is rough, so it's still catching. Going to buy some fine files, as it's aluminum, and easy to file.

1. First picture is a shot of the stering column
shiftcolumn.jpg

2. Second picture is with the shifter in D2 I believe. I tried to take the picture aiming upward to see the upward angled piece of metal with the pit. My pit is gone, as I have already filed it.
shifterandBISindrive.jpg

3. Closer shot showing the upward angled filed area, extra shiny since filing.
shinyisfiledpart.jpg

BSI switch
BISswitch.jpg

Hope this helps anyone.

This should totally be a recall, my fiance thought she had it in park, and shut off the truck, and it began to roll. Good thing I was there when she pulled up.

Scott

I updated my post, figured out how to have the pics show up. Haven't had a chance to file more. Probably going to try and stick some packing tape, or something sticky on one side and smooth and slippery on the otherside, to the area where I am filing.

Scott

i had some switch replaced on my explorer when my wife coudlnt get it into gear/ real hard to shift from park to anything else.

DUmb ? . can you put a little grease on that rod? I havent seen how it works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info/pics I'll have to tear into mine this weekend to see whats up with mine.

Back