Clunk! sound when coming to a stop.. tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunk! sound when coming to a stop.. tranny?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

When I come to a stop in my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4WD, there is a clunk side coming from the under-carriage somewhere. It seems to happen as the vehicle is downshifting from second to 1st gear as I come to a stop. When I first start driving the car during the day it can barely be heard, but the more I drive it, the louder it gets. (!!) What could be causing this? Transmission? Drive shaft? Differential? I have no clue. PLease assist

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grease the slip joint...

Most likely not the trans.

Something loose in the front end. Many times one of the bolts on the upper controll arms can come loose enough to be an issue. Other times the problem is one of the ball joints going bad (look for broken rubber boot on the upper or lower c/a).

The front sway bar ends were a POS on these models and usually need replacing any way.

The clunk is such a common problem that you will find thousands of solutions if you use the search.

Peace.

check your caliper bolts. i have had those come loose resulting in a clunking noise. if you have the ability, jack up the front of your truck. take off the wheel and look around for anything that doesnt look right.

dont forget to use axle stands if you are getting under the truck!

I think I know exactly what hes talking about, however I dont have that issue anymore, it does happen though if your OD light is flashing,when coming to a stop, it clunks so hard it even kicks the ABS on right?

that would be your transfer case. i had a 98 xlt. 4x4. the clunk would not be bad at all taking off, but when coming to stop, or making sharp turns it clunks clunks clunks.

i checked everything! and finnaly found out it was my transfer case from a ford mechanic. he told me the front drive shaft freewheels, so it turns all the time even when your in 2wd, which turns gears in the transfer case. to somewhat fix the problem i removed my front drive shaft. and that helped alot.

put your explorer in 4wd, and see what happens. if im right, you will think your car is about to blow up when you put it in 4wd. let me know what happens

If it were the trans I would expect a more catastrophic failure. Clunking can come from a spare tire not properly secured.

The echo in the frame yada.

I put it into 4WD and drove it, and no problems whatsoever

There is no way it is a spare time or something loose. It does when the vehicle is coasting to a stop with or without brakes. It sounds mechanical... like a gear or something spinning.. kerchlunk... starts off soft when we first drive, as day wears on it gets louder and louder.

Wasn't there a TSB and a reflash that the dealers did to try to cure this problem? Maybe it was an idle change or downshift point they reprogrammed in the ECU? Mine does this occassionally too. Just as the truck comes to a stop or after stopped, right as you release the brake, sometimes it does it. I can feel it in the floor.

It also could be ujoint in the driveshaft... bearings in the rear.. ring and pinion... transfer case... it could be alot of things.... I would lay under it and start rotating things to see how much slop it has...

Back