'93 Sport - Won't Shift in 4-wheel. Lots of Snow! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Sport - Won't Shift in 4-wheel. Lots of Snow!

Sorry to butt in with a 3rd gen, but I am having the same issue as most others here and I have taken the shift motor off the t-case and my options are High - Neutral - Low. Not 2h 4h and 4l like the 1st gens. Can I assume that the repair procedure is the same or at least similiar? My 02' X is either 4x4 Auto / 4x4 High / or 4x4 Low. Auto and High work fine but I cant get it to go in and out of Lo. Does anyone know of a 3rd gen post of a "how to fix"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you are stopped, in neutral with the brake pedal pushed when trying to shift to 'low'.

Otherwise, yes the repair should be the same.

This is a good thread with lots of info. the truck i am buying has this problem. lights on dash DO NOT go on. there is a light click in the rear of the truck (now i know what it is :D) and i think im going to go ahead and buy it now that i know its a pretty simple fix for a basic grease monkey like myself

hey guys i am new to the forum i own a 94 sport one day my 4x4 light next to the button and on the dash came on and four wheel drive dosent engage i can hear the solenoid activating but no four wheel drive its been this way for about three months now and i cant seem to diagnose it any ideas

hey guys i am new to the forum i own a 94 sport one day my 4x4 light next to the button and on the dash came on and four wheel drive dosent engage i can hear the solenoid activating but no four wheel drive its been this way for about three months now and i cant seem to diagnose it any ideas

Are you saying the 4x4 lights came on by themselves or you pushed the button and they came on?

Did you see the 4x4 troubleshooting thread? It contains alot of good info in a single place to help diagnose 4x4 issues.

Look for the info: "If the T-case is engaging (lights indicate 4x4), but the front end doesn't feel like its locked then one or more hubs are most likely blown."

they came on by themselves but i will check out the trouble shooting thanks

this is a very well informed thread great job but im havin troubles too. ign off the escm light is on ign on it turns off. unplugged the 2 side plugs turned ign on and nothing even hitting the reset. bypassed 12v to yellow and orange and motor works great. push dash buttons no light no solenoids hitting nothin. worked yesterday morn then when i replaced all the fuses in fuse box it stopped. im gettin 12v to every connection and have a good ground im completely stumped. any help would be great thanks

oh 94 ranger 4.0 auto

this is a very well informed thread great job but im havin troubles too. ign off the escm light is on ign on it turns off. unplugged the 2 side plugs turned ign on and nothing even hitting the reset. bypassed 12v to yellow and orange and motor works great. push dash buttons no light no solenoids hitting nothin. worked yesterday morn then when i replaced all the fuses in fuse box it stopped. im gettin 12v to every connection and have a good ground im completely stumped. any help would be great thanks

oh 94 ranger 4.0 auto

Was the Battery disconnected when you replaced all the fuses? If you disconnect the neg terminal for 10min or so it will reset all the computers in the vehicle.. Hopefully this will clear any bad state the 4x4 shift module got into.

just tried the battery pull for 15 min still nothing even borrowed a newer 4x4 switch from a friends truck and nothing. Im completely stumped on what it could be.Maybe a low fluid sensor or something not letting it work idk. Will it stop working if the abs light is on when its running?

FOUND IT turns out black with orange ground waqs intermittent seems the eyelet was corroded and workin then not so i replaced it and whamo it works great thanks for all the info and tech in this thread, def worth while to anyone havin issues

Ok... Ive R&R this dang thing twice!!!

First time it wouldn't come out of 4 hi after i replaced the missing bump stop 'found all the little fragments" but it wouldnt go into 4 lo??

Pulled it again now it wont go into 4x4??

I had to pull the brown wire and the magnetic sensor blue and green wires from the housing? "male/female"

what is the purpose of the magnetic sensor ??

I could have the wires crossed? "blue and green" I've checked the computer both times.. The first time while i'd engage the 4 hi button i would receive a fast blinking from the LED and i could here the computer clicking rapidly... BUT it was still in 4 hi..

The second go around I have no LED and can hear the usual slow click from the computer? and it will not go into 4x4

I also disengaged the battery cable trying to reset the computer..

Thanks... Dustin

92 auto...

Ok... Ive R&R this dang thing twice!!!

First time it wouldn't come out of 4 hi after i replaced the missing bump stop 'found all the little fragments" but it wouldnt go into 4 lo??

Pulled it again now it wont go into 4x4??

I had to pull the brown wire and the magnetic sensor blue and green wires from the housing? "male/female"

what is the purpose of the magnetic sensor ??

I could have the wires crossed? "blue and green" I've checked the computer both times.. The first time while i'd engage the 4 hi button i would receive a fast blinking from the LED and i could here the computer clicking rapidly... BUT it was still in 4 hi..

The second go around I have no LED and can hear the usual slow click from the computer? and it will not go into 4x4

I also disengaged the battery cable trying to reset the computer..

Thanks... Dustin

92 auto...

Hi Dustin and welcome to the site

The Magnetic speed sensor (blue and Green wires) measures the speed of the T-case and prevents accidental shifting into 4L at speeds above 3mph. The magnetic clutch (brown wire) locks or unlocks the front drive shaft from the T-Case.

When working on the shift motor only the Brown wire (Magnetic clutch) needs to be removed. The Speed sensor just pulls out of the T-Case so you don't need to remove the blue and green wires from the connector.

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU MAKE EXACTLY THE CORRECT CONNECTIONS WHEN YOU DO THIS. ACCIDENTALLY SHORTING THROUGH ONE OF THE SWITCH CONTACTS OR THE SPEED SENSOR WITH 12 VOLTS WILL DESTROY THEM.

4x4 won't engage

Same problem here.

1. Lights on selector switch do come on.
2. Hear the clunk of 4x4 engaging in transfer case
3. Front drive shaft does turn.
4. Manual hubs, rebuilt a few weeks ago.
5, Definitely in low range when you select that option

I'm a novice, but does this mean shift motor is not engaging the main drive in transfer case ? Everything from transfer case to front wheels seems to work. But not getting a connection to tranmission so it seems.

Help

MoBill

if the front shaft is turning the transfer case is engaged and hooked up to the output shaft of the transmission. It sounds like your hubs are not locked. Welcome to the forums MoBill. BTW you have electric 4x4 and manual hubs?

I meant all the front moves when I roll truck forward. When I switch back out of 4wd, the front drive shaft stops rotating. Manual hubs. I'll have to get it off the ground somewhere to see what else is going on.

I don't think I'm getting anything from the transmission through the transfer case....if that makes sense.

what happens when you lock the front hubs and take the transfer case out of 4wd? does the front driveshaft turn? I know this is hard to see by yourself. I mean rolling the vehicle, not trying to move it with power.

Silly suggestion, but when I was testing my engage motor, I put the beast on 4 jack stands so that I could see what was going on. Don't know if that is an option for you or not... but don't try it on slanted pavement, as the results can be... interesting.

4x4 low is stuck

Hello DeRocha,
I see you are online... I've a problem with my '98 Explorer. 4x4 low is stuck and can't be released. When I turn the switch from 4x4low to 4x4high pressing the brake in neutral, I can hear a click and 5 times a click-click (sounds like a relay) and nothing happens. 4x4low light is still on and 4wd is activated.
It seems to me that the control unit wants to switch but I've it mechanically stuck so after 5 try it gives up to switch back t 4x4high or auto mode. To be able to do try it again I have to switch ignition off and on.
Have you ever met with this problem? What should I do to find the root cause?
Thanks in advance,
Ákos

I diagnosed my 4x4 shift issue to a faulty shift position sensor. After opening the sealed sensor I found the ceramic disc that supports the printed circuit had separated from the metal shaft. Regluing with E6000 fixed the issue. DeRochas info didn't include this possibility. What clued me in was shaking the sensor and feeling it rattle. Works good again.
Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi DeRocha, I'm new to the forum & found it while "googling" a problem with a friends 2008 Ranger 4x4, shift on the fly, automatic tranny, 4 liter v6. He drove it to my house very slowly, with the transfer case stuck in 4 low. An aquaintence had told him that he only needed to open the shift motor, and with pliers or a screw driver, he could move the shift select to 2 high. By the time I got to look at it, he had stripped off most the no tamper screws on the position sensor cover, so I uplugged the connector, then removed the entire shift motor. I see the arrows and the shift points as illustrated in another post. I need to replace this for him, but hate the thought of using a Dorman rebuilt. He claims he is not keeping the truck, but trading in and getting a 250 super duty. Are there other, more affordable yet reliable rebuild ? If so, what and where can i get one. Also, I'm not sure how to proceed when I get one. Might you be kind enough to walk me through, so to speak. I think I need to disconnect the battery, then shift the truck into neutral. I think I'll then need to turn the selector shaft to or near to a position that will allow the alignment for installing a new or rebuilt shift motor. Please let me know. Thanks.. just trying to help a buddy out, that's helped me with other headaches.

Back