97 explorer manual transfer case swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer manual transfer case swap

Rusty

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Xlt and 97 Sport
Hey guys i need some knowledge here!

I am working on a manual t case swap in my 1997 explorer sohc. I need a manual case that will work with my year since i have the speed sensor in the tcase.

I have a friend who is willing to sell me a 1350 case if that will work. I have heard of the 1354 working but i think they are similar.

Please let me know if you have any info on these working for me and being at least somewhat easy to swap. I already know i will probably have to change my front driveshaft since the 1350 uses a yoke style instead of cv.

Thanks!!!!
Rusty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm you will need to do a bit more then that you have to fool your truck into thinking there is no more t case in there... new computer, new GEM module... something along those lines

the 1350 and the 1354 are very similar t cases, the front output yoke is the big difference, the 1350 was ranger and BII until 1990 then it went to the 1354 with the 4.0 in 1991

the 1354 is preferred, it is a bit upgraded internally but the manual version was a bit more rare

So the problem will be it will throw some codes or simply not be usable at all?

My friend said he pulled it from a stx ranger with the factory lift on it. It also has a fixed front out put on it!?

I was just hoping that i could bolt it up and get a shifter linkage.. maybe do some drive shaft mods and roll. So you think it isn't possible? Is there a manual case i can use or am i best just to grab another auto case and live with it? I had the brown wire mod and no real problems with the tcase engaging... just right now i can't use reverse without using 4x4 low and there is no parking call unless it is in 4wd low. When coasting in drive it make a ratcheting grinding sound. I figured its done and time to replace.

From my reading on here you can like 410 said use the 1350 it bolts to the trans the same but the output is different so you would need a shop to modify your drive shaft to hook up to the transfer case. There was a guy not too long ago that put the 1350 in his 95. And I believe that the GEM with flash your 4X4 lights once you unplug the transfer case because it will think there are problems with the case.

What year ranger did the case come out of? The 1350 has a slip yoke front output (think 2wd explorer, how a female end of the driveshaft slips over the output of the transmission, inside the transmission case), whereas the 1354 has a fixed yoke, using a 4 bolt flange like the rear output of your 4x4 explorer.

not sure what year but he is pretty knowledgeable on ranger stuff and he said it is a rare fixed yoke 1350 case.

the front fixed yoke m1350 is apparently pretty rare but i just snagged one after 3 weeks of searching all the jy's in the back 40 of gods country
here is a pic
elusive  stx fixed yoke 1350.jpg

i guess i'll just have to get used to the 4x4 lights flashing, or is the something we can do to stop it?

If you can get a schematic for your GEM you could cut the 4X4 light indicator wires or go with a 2wd module.

the front fixed yoke m1350 is apparently pretty rare but i just snagged one after 3 weeks of searching all the jy's in the back 40 of gods country
here is a pic
View attachment 58747

i guess i'll just have to get used to the 4x4 lights flashing, or is the something we can do to stop it?

Uhh.. my friend said cut the wires to the lights or pull the bulbs!'

I'm still not sure about it though. I am thinking and searching. Also a friend has a wrecked explorer. if it is a 97 i may just pull the auto case so i have more time to research.

best i can tell, the main prob with the 1350s was the front output, i didnt know that some came with the fixed front yoke. there was also some improvement with the internal parts with the 1354, 6 gear planetary instead of 4 and some other things. but this particular tcase should work. i will find out tomorrow and take pics

I have a wiring diagram for the 96 model year, don't know if this will help or not because I am not sure of the changes done to the wiring between the years 96 &97.
The wiring for the lights on the dash for 4-LO is light blue/black (pin #10), 4-HI is solid gray (pin # 14) off the GEM.

just swapped in the fixed front yoke 1350m this weekend, works fine. i started a thread in this section.

well my friend scored me a manual 1354 i think from an early explorer comes with all the shift linkage, trim ring, shift boot, shifter, and front driveshaft and the wiring for the lights (not sure if i can make the 4wd lights work from this?) for $150. I am getting it this coming weekend and hopefully getting it all hooked up next week.

Sounds like a good deal, I too am hoping to hook up the 4wd lights when I swap one in so the old lady knows for sure what position the case is in.

exactly what i am thinking glen!

hey i am new to this forum and i have a 97 sohc 4x4 and i am wanting to do the same thing you did... could you send me a list of what to do?? thank you.

first thing is first... Research! get a good idea of what your looking at and whats involved. The manual transfer case can be found in :
91-94 explorers
93-97 rangers
02-03 fx4(02) fx4lvl2(03) rangers

The front driveshaft you will need can be found in the 95-96 explorers.

Sorry about the slight thread take over.

how has the swap progressed?

When I swapped a manual t-case into my 01 I never had problems with the 4x4 lights flashing. I just left the t-case connectors unplugged and zip tied out of the way. I used the 1354.

I was hoping one day to wire it so the lights would function again but now that I've gone a completely different direction I'll have to do it different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im thinking about doing this does the speed sensor go in either the transfer case's

Back