• Register Today It's free!

Check engine light just came on

edgea1286

Reaction score
City, State
cleveland, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 EXPLORER XLT
well i was driving home today and all of a sudden the "service engine soon" light came on.

it is a 03 explorer xlt.

there is no sounds comming from it, there is nothing wrong with how it runs, everything just seems to be great on it.

its due for an oil change , i have about 3500 miles on it since the last one and the oil level is a tad bit low.

would the oil being a little low cause this light to be on. i really dont have the time to take it anywhere as i work ALOT.

let me know if its just the oil. since i have to change it anyways im going to but i just want to keep a heads up for later on if this ever happens.

please help. thanks alot people

the ONLY way of knowing is to read the codes, most auto parts stores will read your codes for free, i sugjest you pick up a base model code reader (mine cost about 60 bucks). And check the codes on the internet (make sure they are the "Ford" codes.

More than likely, it is related to your emission control system (probably EGR valve), BUT, as stated, you should have it checked out. Just needing an oil change will not throw a code.

Back