• Register Today It's free!

96 speaker install

Shaggy_32003

Reaction score
City, State
Bonne Terre, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
ok i just bought some memphis speakers to put in all the doors and i was going to use the wires all the way from the speaker to the head unit that came with the speakers... but i wanted to hide the speakers so it all still looks stock... well after finding out that i was unable to do this i decided to just splice into the stock wires (it killed me to do it) and use them... but now im stuck with not knowing what wire does what.... theres a blue/white wire and a green/red wire... which one is negative and positive? and is splicing a good idea or will sound quality diminish?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nevermind figured it out....

Good. You won't notice a difference using stock wire off of HU power. You don't need to worry about upgrading speaker wire until you get into high power amps.

Yesterday I installed new speakers and ran all new wire from the head unit to the speakers. It looks like a tough job because it is! The hardest part for me was running the wire through the rubber channels that run between the door and vehicle. 5 hours later and everything works great.

just a heads up guys, if you pull one side of the rubber protect in between the door away from the side and turn it to the back you can make a slit in it (carefully!) which will make it easier to run the wire. when you are done take some liquid tape ( i use a black type to blend in), usually comes in a brush on form, and just brush it on the slit. seals up just as good, then put the rubber protect back. 5-10 mins a door.

Back