Transmission Flush- two shops with different ideas..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Flush- two shops with different ideas.....

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
So I called to two local shops that had really good reviews online. Both shops are pretty comparable in price, but gave me two different options on how they will flush it.

One shop said they will flush my transmission with Mercon V which is specified by ford to be used.
The other shop said they use a full synthetic oil all the time. When asked if it’s Mercon V, they said it’s a universal fluid they use on all cars since there are so many different types of fluids out there now.

Why question is- which is better? The mercon V or the universal synthetic oil?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Synthetic is probably better but im not sure about the "universal" part. Personally, i'd stick with the Mercon V but thats just me. You should ask them if they guarantee their "universal" fluid. If you leave their shop and your trans starts slipping halfway down the road are they gonna stand behind their product?

That's what I was saying to myself as well. Im a synthetic man, so to me that sounds like a better idea but I know Ford specifically says MERCON V!! I read this is because Mercon V is semi-synthetic and thinner. Anyone else have suggestions?

I don't have an educated answer, but since Ford says Mercon V, I would go with it. I just don't like the sounds of a "universal" transmission fluid.

A little update to this story

So I called the shop back that said they would be using Mercon V on my truck. They mentioned they also do a synthetic change that is $50 more. Upon questioning, they said the synthetic is much better than the Mercon V and would allow the transmission to work smoother. Even after I told him and he confirmed that Mercon V is full synthetic, he said this other stuff is better.

Regardless I will only be using Mercon V in my truck, but can anyone shed light on this crazy synthetic fluids I’ve been hearing about?

Edit: It's called Kendall VersaTrans. Claims its universal for all transmissions

AMSOIL ATF - Been running it for years in all my cars.

Mercon V is what is specified by Ford. They bet their extended warranties on it, so why not use it?

A search on that fluid says it is licensed by Ford for Mercon V use so you are fine in using it. I'm not a fan of one size fits all trans lubes but it will do its job.

Either fluid will be fine, its just how much you want to spend.

Good call 96eb96- Why didnt I think of that? lol

Looks like I will just be safe and go with the Mercon V change. The universal thing scares me too. I appreciate all your help guys! Hopefully this will help other aware car owners too.

Now that we are on this topic- how in the world do shops advertise oil changes for $15-$20? Recycled oil? Crappy oil filters? I run synthetic Mobil 1 with Motorcraft filter and this costs me around $25. I know a regular change in my girlfriends mustang costs around $15--- FOR parts only!

Good call 96eb96- Why didnt I think of that? lol

Looks like I will just be safe and go with the Mercon V change. The universal thing scares me too. I appreciate all your help guys! Hopefully this will help other aware car owners too.

Now that we are on this topic- how in the world do shops advertise oil changes for $15-$20? Recycled oil? Crappy oil filters? I run synthetic Mobil 1 with Motorcraft filter and this costs me around $25. I know a regular change in my girlfriends mustang costs around $15--- FOR parts only!

Bulk oil and low quality filters

the really knowledgeable off road guy at autozone (rare to find knowledge there I know) told me that mercon v is a newer oil you tend to see in newer vehicles. We even looked up my truck and the truck my transfercase came from for transfercase and transmission fluids and both just said "mercon" he said that in older vehicle the fluid mostly used is dex/merc as it flows a liittle easier

thats what I know, its open to interpretation

It’s interesting you mention this. I did a google search on Mercon V VS Mercon and ford guys were talking about this back in a post posted in ’99 saying how it just got released and such. They said the difference is Mercon V is thinner and synthetic. It also lasts longer. I read you can put Mercon V in a Mercon based transmission, but you cannot put Mercon in a Mercon V based. This will cause ill functioning, possible slipping ect.

With that said, I was thinking about Lucas Transmission fix and other additives. I picked a bottle up and the stuff is thick- kind of like the Lucas engine stuff they sell. To me, adding this to the transmission would foolish with Mercon V because that additive would make the thin Mercon V thicker. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I used to use “Restore” at every oil change, but stopped because I figure the engine was designed for just oil so that’s what I’ll use.

If you put the wrong tranny fluid in a Nissan or Chrysler.....It will destroy the transmission.

My experience WITH TRANSMISSIONS is that you should use what the manufacturer recommends. It can affect seal life, shift points, and overall longevity.

Also, make sure they clean your pan. There will be a black film of dust in the bottom of it.

Also, always replace the filter and pan gasket.

It’s interesting you mention this. I did a google search on Mercon V VS Mercon and ford guys were talking about this back in a post posted in ’99 saying how it just got released and such. They said the difference is Mercon V is thinner and synthetic. It also lasts longer. I read you can put Mercon V in a Mercon based transmission, but you cannot put Mercon in a Mercon V based. This will cause ill functioning, possible slipping ect.

With that said, I was thinking about Lucas Transmission fix and other additives. I picked a bottle up and the stuff is thick- kind of like the Lucas engine stuff they sell. To me, adding this to the transmission would foolish with Mercon V because that additive would make the thin Mercon V thicker. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I used to use “Restore” at every oil change, but stopped because I figure the engine was designed for just oil so that’s what I’ll use.

There is a synthetic blend version of Mercon V, it probably cost a fortune though:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...teering%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/category.asp?select=[Transmission Fluid]

They suggest it for very severe duty applications.

Pure Mercon V is the best choice for these transmissions. That is what they give you at the dealer. Change it at 25-30K and there is nothing more to worry about. Take the money you would spend on the synthetic fluid and add a cooler instead, it would be a much wiser investment.

I can vouch for Mercon V. When I got my Mountaineer it had 213,000 on it. It had some lockup converter shutter so I figured I would change the fluid and filter to see if it helped. The old fluid was a little dark but it wasn't burned. I took the pan off and it still had the plug inside from the factory.:eek: I changed the filter and drained the converter and refilled with Mercon V and a bottle of Lubeguard. Now, 1500 miles later the tranny works great and there is no lockup converter shutter.:thumbsup: My Mountaineer is a 97 and the owners manual specifies Mercon V. Just my $0.02.

Versa Trans and Mercron V are the same thing. Do you really think Ford makes their own oil , of course not. Mercron V is made by Conoco who also makes Kendall Versa Trans . Versa Trans says its mercron v certified right on the quart its the same save your money and dont get ripped off by the dealer for the same crap. What you should not run is something like Mobil 1 because it has been known to cause issues when using full synthetic in the 4r.

Also neither ford mercron v or the kendall crap are full synthetic they are both a blend. They are identical oil from the same company with different labels

I flushed my car with versa trans and it as smooth as a babys ass

Versa Trans and Mercron V are the same thing. Do you really think Ford makes their own oil , of course not. Mercron V is made by Conoco who also makes Kendall Versa Trans . Also neither ford mercron v or the kendall crap are full synthetic they are both a blend. They are identical oil from the same company with different labels

So, i bought some Mercon V in a Castrol bottle the other day. Are you saying Castrol and Kendall are all the same people?
Also, i dont think anyone said Ford actually made Mercon V. They just said that Ford specifies Mercon V.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Yes. DO NOT FLUSH. Do not flush the transmission, plain and simple. Drop the pan, change the filter, top off with fresh, and nothing more. Flushing causes more issues that it solves. With nothing more than a fluid and filter change every 30,000 miles, there's no reason the trans shouldn't go 200k, if not 300,000 miles without an issue.

the really knowledgeable off road guy at autozone (rare to find knowledge there I know) told me that mercon v is a newer oil you tend to see in newer vehicles.

Ummm, sure... if you consider a 10 year old truck a 'newer' vehicle... Just sayin'....

So, i bought some Mercon V in a Castrol bottle the other day. Are you saying Castrol and Kendall are all the same people?
Also, i dont think anyone said Ford actually made Mercon V. They just said that Ford specifies Mercon V.

The Castrol brand was what I used also in my fluid and filter change (also drained the converter). I never buy from a Stealership unless it absolutely can't be found somewhere else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back