Problem with MAC cold air intake installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with MAC cold air intake installation

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
I bought one of the MAC intakes from James, but when I snap it down into the grommets the filter is so high the hood can't close. I had to let the bottom of the bracket rest between the front of the grommet and a power box next to it. So basically the thing is just hanging there.

I know a few other people here have bought them and I'm wondering if anyone else came across this problem. I'm considering straightening out the L bend at the bottom of the bracket, coming up another in or so and re bending it so it will fasten in theholes from the old air box. My bracket looks original so I can't understand wtf it's like this. I had to cut the sensor out of the stock one so I can't put the original back on...

This is what it looks like when the base is snapped into the grommets like the directions call for.

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something doesn't look right there. Care to post some views from the top? Is that the filter that came with the kit?

That looks nothing like the filter i got with my MAC intake. Mine is an oval/cone shaped filter element thats blue. Is that what they sent ya?

Here it is the way I had to install it. In the bottom pics you can see where it's supposed to fit into the grommets, but I had to bring it forward and down an inch, so It's just hanging there.

picture.php

picture.php

Rightnow the end of the filter is pressed tight against the fender wall so there's something wrong here.

That looks nothing like the filter i got with my MAC intake. Mine is an oval/cone shaped filter element thats blue. Is that what they sent ya?

Yea, this filter's a big old bulky thing. If the filter was an inch or so shorter and not so big around it would fit up on the bracket like it should. It's 7 inches long and about six inches across in width. And it's the one that was sent with it.

Would you have a pic of yours?

The oval/cone shaped filter was what I expected too. Mine was red, but I've seen blue too.

Yea, this filter's a big old bulky thing. If the filter was an inch or so shorter and not so big around it would fit up on the bracket like it should. It's 7 inches long and about six inches across in width. And it's the one that was sent with it.

Would you have a pic of yours?

I think your filter is wrong. These are pics from the MAC site. When I owned a MAC intake for my SOHC Sport, it looked the same as these pics of the 5.0 kit:

3659.jpg

3659%20installed.jpg

I bought one of the MAC intakes from James, but when I snap it down into the grommets the filter is so high the hood can't close. I had to let the bottom of the bracket rest between the front of the grommet and a power box next to it. So basically the thing is just hanging there.

I know a few other people here have bought them and I'm wondering if anyone else came across this problem. I'm considering straightening out the L bend at the bottom of the bracket, coming up another in or so and re bending it so it will fasten in theholes from the old air box. My bracket looks original so I can't understand wtf it's like this. I had to cut the sensor out of the stock one so I can't put the original back on...

This is what it looks like when the base is snapped into the grommets like the directions call for.

Have you tried calling James? His product support/customer service is known to be excellent. I'm sure he can help you figure it out.

Yea, I called James earlier but I wanted to try and figure this out myself so as not to bother him any more than I have to. He was in the middle of a couple tunes but told me to send pics. I don't want anyone to get the impression I'm knocking him in any way shape or manner He's been great and shipped this right out quick. I was hoping to be able to tell him what was wrong when I sent an email. I have a feeling the wrong filter got shipped as it says the filter is supposed to be 3.5 in and the one I got is almost double that.

Yea, I called James earlier but I wanted to try and figure this out myself so as not to bother him any more than I have to. He was in the middle of a couple tunes but told me to send pics. I don't want anyone to get the impression I'm knocking him in any way shape or manner He's been great and shipped this right out quick. I was hoping to be able to tell him what was wrong when I sent an email. I have a feeling the wrong filter got shipped as it says the filter is supposed to be 3.5 in and the one I got is almost double that.

Send him the link to this thread. James is a dude. He'll sort you out.

The oval/cone shaped filter was what I expected too. Mine was red, but I've seen blue too.

I think your filter is wrong. These are pics from the MAC site. When I owned a MAC intake for my SOHC Sport, it looked the same as these pics of the 5.0 kit:

3659.jpg

3659%20installed.jpg

That is the filter i got with mine, but mine has blue filter material. I think this is the one you want to get. I had no fitment or installation problems at all.

I sent him a Email last night so when he gets a chance he'll get back. I'm guessing it's simply the filter is to large as the ones in the above pics arent the same as the one I got.

That is the filter i got with mine, but mine has blue filter material. I think this is the one you want to get. I had no fitment or installation problems at all.

The filters are actually made of white material. The dye in the oil is what makes the difference. Some filter companies offer cleaning/recharge kits with different oil colours so you can customize the look of your filter to match your tastes. One company in particular called "Green" (you guessed it, their filters are green right out of the box....great filters) offers this option (blue/clear/orange/purple/red/yellow).
Posted via Mobile Device

I will check into the filter thing today. That is definately not the filter which I expected. Actually i haven't ever seen the filter in the pic used on an explorer before. I have to wait for MAC to open and find out a resolution but I will get to the bottom of this and have you taken care of. Please note these are shipped to me sealed so I don't inspect the contents inside the box. I apologize for the problem and will have an answer for you today.-j

Thank you James.

After I spoke with you I figured somehow I must be doing something wrong, although it's pretty clear cut how to install it. I'm pretty sure somehow MAC put the wrong filter in with the kit when they sent it. If the filter was smaller and cone shaped it would fit down into the fender while it was in the bracket. But I bet it gets a good air flow with the bigger filter, lol.

Thx for the quick shipping and looking into this for me.

Jeff,

I responded to your email but I will post here as well for the members to know of the revision. The filter is correct (new revision) but it appears you have the wrong filter bracket. MAC Cali is shipping you a new bracket, so all will be well. I appreciate your patience and understanding with this matter.-j

Thank you James. I appreciate you're looking into this so quickly.

I'll give you an A+ for this one in customer care after the sale. All companies should be like this. Thank you again.

You don't sell exhaust manifolds do you, lol?

Back