has anyone every just taken the muffler off a 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

has anyone every just taken the muffler off a 4.0 SOHC?

jcwaters1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
then just put straight pipe where the muffler was? would it loose some power? im looking for a good sound and dont have the money right now to get the muffler that i want. What would the side effects be of just taking the muffler out of the equation?

1998 4.0 SOHC XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

absolutely obnoxious

:salute:. couldn't agree more. i did it just to hear the sound when i put my magnaflows cats on and it was awful IMO.

What would the side effects be of just taking the muffler out of the equation?

Would probably sound like CRAP. The SOHC V6 isn't the easiest engine to get sounding good as it is with aftermarket exhaust (from experience). Wait until you have the bucks. In the mean time scour the archives (there are scores of threads on the subject) to find out what application would be best for you. Try Youtube for vids too.

ok. thanks guys. i have looked on youtube before and the one i want is the flowmaster super 40. i would need to get a "Y" to convert the dual pipes coming off the manifolds, but i can live with that. should i leave the catalitic converters on or cut them out? it sounded a lot better in the video with them out.

thanks

I don't think you'll pass a smog check with the cats removed.

then just put straight pipe where the muffler was? would it loose some power? im looking for a good sound and dont have the money right now to get the muffler that i want. What would the side effects be of just taking the muffler out of the equation?

1998 4.0 SOHC XLT

it'll sounds absolutely awesome, for about 15 seconds, but only at idle, and then you'll realize that you have to drive it like that until you get a muffler. After driving around without a muffler for about two weeks i will never ever do it again on any car, the highway drone will make your ears bleed. i honestly kept a thing of tylenol in my truck to take when i got to work everyday. wait until you have a muffler that you want to get and get it installed.

justin

I don't think you'll pass a smog check with the cats removed.

k thanks for the input, but i live in montana, and we never have smog tests.

would removing the cats have a significant effect on how it sounds with the flowmaster? im thinking ill just leave the stock pipes in place and leave it as a single pipe but maybe shoot it out the side. will this sound pretty good?

anyone have thoughts?

anyone have thoughts?

Removing cats does nothing to the sound, will only benefit performance if your existing cats aren't working and/or are clogged, is illegal and will help you fail inspection (if applicable).

In other words, focus on something else.

Funny you ask because Ive done the same exact thing on my truck. Currently I am running an offroad Y pipe (custom mandrel bent 2.5") into a single Flowmaster super 40 muffler than a tailpipe out the rear. The following is a video of it. Ignore the beginning- the GF thought she was funny

Also, here is the motor with offroad Y pipe only- no cats or muffler

The offroad Y pipe to flowmaster super 40 is by far my favorite set up and I currently use it. Amazing sound out of this motor and I got many compliments on it. No crazy drone (thanks to delta flow technology) like the original 40 has. Avoid the Super 44 muffler. Both myself and another member used it and hated it

Removing cats does nothing to the sound, will only benefit performance if your existing cats aren't working and/or are clogged, is illegal and will help you fail inspection (if applicable).

but the more air flow through the exhaust system, the more sound right? i realize it's illegal, but the cops will never know. i know tons of guys with no cats on their trucks and have had them off forever. their trucks sound better without them.

The best muffler for the SOHC 4.0 in my opinion is a Spintech sportmans. Not as raspy and dirty sounding as the flowmaster. Its unique sounding. Ditch the cats that don't have o2 sensors and run 2.5 or 2.75 through the muffler and reduce the spout to 2.5 and it'll run noticeably harder. You loose alot of torque when cutting out the muffler.

The cats on my affected it big time! With the high flow cat installed, or when I used the stock Y pipe, the sound was not as deep or loud. When I take the high flow cat out and replace with just pipe, the sound is deeper, louder, and poppy when you get on it which i like

The best muffler for the SOHC 4.0 in my opinion is a Spintech sportmans. Not as raspy and dirty sounding as the flowmaster. Its unique sounding. Ditch the cats that don't have o2 sensors and run 2.5 or 2.75 through the muffler and reduce the spout to 2.5 and it'll run noticeably harder. You loose alot of torque when cutting out the muffler.

Got any clips of this?

Funny you ask because Ive done the same exact thing on my truck. Currently I am running an offroad Y pipe (custom mandrel bent 2.5") into a single Flowmaster super 40 muffler than a tailpipe out the rear. The following is a video of it. Ignore the beginning- the GF thought she was funny

Also, here is the motor with offroad Y pipe only- no cats or muffler

The offroad Y pipe to flowmaster super 40 is by far my favorite set up and I currently use it. Amazing sound out of this motor and I got many compliments on it. No crazy drone (thanks to delta flow technology) like the original 40 has. Avoid the Super 44 muffler. Both myself and another member used it and hated it

Thanks, i have actually watched that vid on youtube a couple times haha. i like the way that sounds. in the first one, that is just straight off the manifolds to the "Y" then into the super 40 correct? where did you get the "Y" and how much was it?

I built the Y pipe with a friend of mine. We bought a mandrel bent kit off the internet, went under the truck, and designed something up. I'll pull up all the parts I used along with pictures of it. My favorite mod by far. My only regret is not putting bungs in for the rear O2's even though the tune shuts them off, when it's untuned i get a nice CEL

I'll pull up all the parts I used along with pictures of it.

ok thanks that would help a lot. i couldnt get the stock muffler out of the rubber hangers. I dont want to rip it or anything. do i just pull hard and if it breaks it breaks? get some new ones? or do you have any tips?

I blew out my muffler several months ago and had to get something cheap. Picked up the famous Cherry Bomb from Autozone for I think about $25. I expected something loud and obnoxious but I think it sounds pretty sweat for a 6 banger, very happy with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but the more air flow through the exhaust system, the more sound right? i realize it's illegal, but the cops will never know. i know tons of guys with no cats on their trucks and have had them off forever. their trucks sound better without them.

OK, so why are you asking then? Just looking for affirmation?

I disagree on the performance and sound front (from experience and from touching base with others who have done it). At least with the 5.0. The SOHC V6 is a moody beyatch with custom exhaust. Results may vary.

FWIW, there are probably 100 different exhaust threads in the archives. You'll plenty of info there via one or both of the forum's search tools.

Back