• Register Today It's free!

Overheating Trans in Overdrive

danfau07

Reaction score
City, State
Pottsville, PA Current Statesville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
ok, took a drive to Charlotte from Mooresville today. Got off of 85 and smoke was everywhere. Pulled over and let it sit for about 5 hours. came back out and fired her up and replaced the lost fluid.it came out of the pan seal. always overheats to the point that it causes my engine temp gauge to go up. so i figured it had to do some thing with the OD band or the TC so i dove it home in direct drive. had no problem. shifted fine and it still got hot, bit not to the point that i smelt it or smoke was seen. so my question is, what the hell happened? just replaced the gov to fix the 1-2 shift and now this! can someone tell me whats going on or what i need to do? please and thank :scratch:frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whens the last time you replaced the trans fluid?

i bought it 2 months ago and the person i bought it off of said that he had it rebuilt. the trans fluid looked good so i never gave it a second thought. now the fluid is black with a burnt smell. trans shop said that it needs to be rebuilt. so never changed it and i think that its whats holding it together. replacing the fluid would only cause it to get worse and slip more. does anyone know of someone selling trans rather cheep? and by cheep i mean cheaper than 1800 it would cost to get it rebuilt. or will it be kinda easy to do it myself? thanks!

You may have a blockage in the radiator. Changing fluid and filter will not cause anymore problems than you have now, a flush at a shop will loosen debri and cause more problems sometimes. Install a temp guage.

i bought it 2 months ago and the person i bought it off of said that he had it rebuilt. the trans fluid looked good so i never gave it a second thought. now the fluid is black with a burnt smell. trans shop said that it needs to be rebuilt. so never changed it and i think that its whats holding it together. replacing the fluid would only cause it to get worse and slip more. does anyone know of someone selling trans rather cheep? and by cheep i mean cheaper than 1800 it would cost to get it rebuilt. or will it be kinda easy to do it myself? thanks!
how long ago was the rebuilt? if so maybe you can get together with the previous owner about takeing it in where he got it rebuilt.

Back