• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on...how bad?

mkey1029

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
Brakes are in good shape...I am fairly inexperienced. Will a brake job fix this, or am I looking at some overpriced "computer" BS? Thanks for the response. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the ABS light comes on your ABS is disabled. Now, how many miles are on the truck. If there is a lot of debris and build up around the one of the sensors it may not be working correctly. Also, some sensors do go bad and you should check them. A brake job will not/should not fix your problem.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
When the ABS light comes on your ABS is disabled. Now, how many miles are on the truck. If there is a lot of debris and build up around the one of the sensors it may not be working correctly. Also, some sensors do go bad and you should check them. A brake job will not/should not fix your problem.

-Drew

EDIT: I don't know if autozone pulls abs codes, but you can try and see if you can get a code. That'll help you out

No, they don't. Any decent repair shop can pull the code and determine which sensor is bad. Shouldn't cost TOO much.

Mine have trouble code 27 and no Ford Stealership would tell me what the code meant nor the Chilton manual. It so happen I found a website and guys was talking about the same code as mine and how to repair it.

You need to count the number of flashes on the ABS light and waited a few seconds and the second flash. As for code "27" it would flashes twice and waited a few seconds and flashes again 7 times.

The repair costed me $1.99 cents with a little knowledge of soldering. If thats your case, let me know and I can direct you on getting the part and how to replace the part.

When the ABS computer detects a fault in one of it's sensors it disables ABS braking (standard braking is unaffected). It does this because the sensors tell the ABS computer each wheel's speed; the ABS computer uses this info to pulse the brakes accordingly during a lock up condition... As such the Yellow ABS light is no immiedidate cause for alarm, just an indication that ABS braking is not working.

Ranger Al said:
You need to count the number of flashes on the ABS light and waited a few seconds and the second flash. As for code "27" it would flashes twice and waited a few seconds and flashes again 7 times.

I think you're talking a about the airbag light - the ABS does not do this. If it DOES, you're the only one on the forum that has had this happen ;)

My ABS light has gone on because my hub when bad and little metal shavings were blocking the sensor. Something to keep in mind since it could have been much worse when my hub blew out on the highway. Luckily I was able to limp to a place where I could fix it. Just something to think about if the brakes and sensor are still in good condition.

Chris! You are right, it is the Airbag trouble code! Anyway, if anyone have airbag trouble code. I am willing to guide ya to get it fix.

I think you can pull the ABS from OBD II code reader from the local Autozone. I too having problem with the Chubby Blazer cause of the ABS stuff. I guessed, I'll get to it whenever the wife get tired of seeing it.

If anyone interested in the front ABS sensors (2 sensors), I still have it. Make me an offer.

Dirty voltage

Man i bought my truck from told me abs light on due to left sensor reading back dirty voltage does that mean sensor shot or is there some other way of fixing it ? :confused:

Man i bought my truck from told me abs light on due to left sensor reading back dirty voltage does that mean sensor shot or is there some other way of fixing it ? :confused:

It sounds like the sensor is sending back a constant lock up voltage.. As mentioned in some previous posts the ABS sensor magnetically detects the teeth on the ABS tone ring. When metal debris collects on the sensor it will become blind and unable to detect the individual teeth on the ABS tone ring and send out a constant lock up signal to the ABS computer.

Check out other threads such as ABS Sensor problem for more info.

Ok.. my ABS sensor does go bad as well, I am not sure if it is too late to help you out. There is a rear sensor located on the pumkin, sometime you could clean it and reinstall it and will be fine. I tried but doesn't work, so I had to get mine at NAPA (around $7) and problem fixed.

My ABS light is on also and brakes are new and my 4x4 high light keeps flashing is this a serious issue?

My ABS light is on and the truck will not go into 4wd at all, i switch to 4hi or 4lo but nothing happens, just the light comes on and stays on(the 4hi or 4lo light). Should i use my OBDII reader on it, will that work?

My ABS light is on and the truck will not go into 4wd at all, i switch to 4hi or 4lo but nothing happens, just the light comes on and stays on(the 4hi or 4lo light). Should i use my OBDII reader on it, will that work?
Probably not. Ordinary OBDII readers can only communicate with the PCM, not with the other modules like a 4WABS Module or GEM. A Ford dealer or a well equipped independent shop will have the necessary reader.

So, my ABS dash icon/light flashes 4 then 6, for a failure code of 46. After that, the ABS light stays on continuously. Can anyone tell me what an ABS error code of 46 translates to in English? I can't find them online, and as noted earlier in this thread, this isn't an engine control problems so my OBD-II reader is of no use.
Thanks.

Make that Airbag light, not ABS

sorry for the confusion. I meant that my AIRBAG warning light is flashing a 4-6 code. Any idea what sensor or failure mode that means? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

abs light on

My abs light came on, what does that mean?

Back