Anyone Painted Their Grille Flat Black? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Painted Their Grille Flat Black?

theSLEEPER

Reaction score
City, State
Bay. St. Louis, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer 2wd
I've got mine done, but I've never used flat black, so I don't know what to do to finish it...

If I wet sand it, should I go over it with wax after?

It's more of a "satin" black actually... I know if I clear it, it will be gloss, and I don't want that, but I don't know how to get a good finish...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a few people have done it on here and from what I hear it doesn't last very long. Paint doesn't like to stick to chrome.

You don't want to wax flat black. Flat paint is porous and the wax will collect in the pores.

You can by clear semigloss and flat clear at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. That would seal the paint and give you the look you want.

Painted mine a Semi gloss kinda black that i found only the center grill kept the chrome i love it!

i added a touch of orange
picture.php

spray-on bedliner gives the grille a rough look :p:

easy off oven cleaner should remove the chrome, sand after with 100 grit to give it something to stick to.

If your truck were black like mine That orange would look GORGEOUS!

Heres my baby <3
xgk3h0.jpg

a few people have done it on here and from what I hear it doesn't last very long. Paint doesn't like to stick to chrome.

You remove the chrome by sanding it off prior to painting.

Take a look at how I did mine: Dead Link Removed

It still looks great 8 years later.

I painted the insert black, but not the chrome trim that goes around the headlights and stuff. I did it last year, and so far (knock on wood) it still looks great. I think I just used Dupli-Color Trim Paint. I don't have any good pictures on this computer, so this is about as good as it gets:

IMG00185-20091222-1648.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I'll try and take a close-up, but all I have is a camera phone. :thumbdwn:

Edit: found one more, but not head-on.

IMG00199-20100127-1307.jpg

Hey florida are those stock rims painted black if so how did you do them?

duplicolor deisgned for wheels works GREAT

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

I waxed the flat black on the wifes FJ, it worked just fine... no clear on the FJ grill, just 4 light coats of krylon flat black for plastic

Hey florida are those stock rims painted black if so how did you do them?

Why, yes they are. :D

I just sanded them a little, especially in areas where they were pealing, scuffed them with a scotchbrite pad, cleaned them, used a degreaser, taped off the tires, then blasted them with some primer. Then I just used black Rustoleum paint. I don't remember the exact kind of Rustoleum nor the exact primer, but anything should work. I wanna say they are semi-gloss black Rusoleum protective enamel (not even wheel paint, just normal Rustoleum), but I'm not sure. But like I said, I think anything will work, but I've had good experiences with Rustoleum.
The only complaints I have is that I was lazy and just painted over the wheel weight, and the wheel weight on one wheel is now peeling, but I'm planning on just getting a small brush and painting over it again. Plus when I get new tires, I'll probably have to paint them again where the wheel weight used to be. Other than that, they still look great; no peeling or cracking that I notice.

I'm very pleased.

Edit: I did them about a year ago, and they still look great, though they may have lost a little of their shiny-ness now. They still look good, and the picture above was taken last month, but they aren't as shiny as they originally were.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i painted my first gen and yeah i can remove the paint with my finger nail if i try. i just rattlebombed it. maybe if i had scuffed it a bit it would have stuck better though.

Back