• Register Today It's free!

Gear Install (front and rear)

SSR

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Ridge, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Ok I have a 94 explorer that has (i think) 3.27 gears, and i want to put in 3.73s, my question is what kind of gear does the front axle use? I was told the rear is an 8.8, but not sure about front. Please help

The front should be a Dana 35.

So the rear is an 8.8 right? Also, where can i buy 3.73s for the front?

If you're interested I'm getting 4:56s installed today (10/8). they pulled both the front and rear apart this morning and let me know that a axle shaft is worn out in the rear so it won't be ready till tomorrow. Anyways, I had 3.73s from the factory and would be willing to sell them if you're interested. The gears have 105,000 on but should be in good shape. They've always had sythetic gear oil in them and I'm swapping them out just for the lower gearing not because they are bad. I'll inspect them when I get them back and as long there is nothing wrong and they don't look worn or anything I plan on selling them just to get a little cash back. My new gears are costing me $1500 installed cause I had a axle and some bearings that had worn so that ended up being another $225 on top of just the gears and install.

Back