Does anyone make a catless Y pipe for 02-05 X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone make a catless Y pipe for 02-05 X?

Putting an off road pipe (no catalytic converters) on my 4.6L Mustang was one of the best mods I ever did to it, looking to do the same to my truck.

Does anyone sell a premade, bolt in, Y pipe that is ready to go? I have been googling and all I am finding is catted pipes, no interest in those.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Given that there is little or no "legitimate" racing/ high performance offroad use of Explorers, manufacturers may not be willing to take the legal risk in making one for this vehicle, particularily given the much lower expected sales volume.

Perhaps you could call Sawzall, Hacksaw, and Welder Incorporated? :D I here they make one. :rolleyes: I would recommend the model which maintains the same inside diameter as the pipe(s) in and out of the "cat". I here they also make ones with stock heat shields attached, for those who don't want to "brag" about their new exhaust.:shifty_ey

This is also illegal by the feds and most states have outlawed it. If you have done a search you will find that all things pertaining to cats being removed are closed due to it being illegal.
This will do no good and cause no gains. While many think cats restrict (in the early days of emmission they did to a point). Now they really dont and actually cause backpressure that is needed for realiability of the engine.

Given that there is little or no "legitimate" racing/ high performance offroad use of Explorers, manufacturers may not be willing to take the legal risk in making one for this vehicle, particularily given the much lower expected sales volume.

Perhaps you could call Sawzall, Hacksaw, and Welder Incorporated? :D I here they make one. :rolleyes: I would recommend the model which maintains the same inside diameter as the pipe(s) in and out of the "cat". I here they also make ones with stock heat shields attached, for those who don't want to "brag" about their new exhaust.:shifty_ey

This is also illegal by the feds and most states have outlawed it. If you have done a search you will find that all things pertaining to cats being removed are closed due to it being illegal.
This will do no good and cause no gains. While many think cats restrict (in the early days of emmission they did to a point). Now they really dont and actually cause backpressure that is needed for realiability of the engine.

Removing them from the vehicle in the manner described above by Carguy is what is illegal.

Replacing them with a pipe that is for offroad use only is not illegal.

I have not had cats on any car I have owned since 2001 and have ALWAYS passed smog, legitimately.

Also your last line about cats not being a restriction and back pressure being good is a crock.

To give you an idea how even a little back pressure HURTS you, my Goat pics up almost 25 RWHP by taking off the mufflers vs going through a dual 3" catless exhaust with straight through magnaflows. To make an engine efficient you want to move as much air in and out as fast as possible. 2005+ Corvettes have also have (stock) a muffler bypassand with an offroad X pipe they are gaining great power for an N/A setup.

My 4.6L Mustang picked up 12 RWHP by going to an offroad Dr Gas X pipe, and another 9 RWHP from the Magnaflow catback. Was just looking to do the same on the X.

oh boy, here we go again. Actually, what I got from comments made by Rick, on the last "no cats" thread I commented on, was that as long as it pertained to off-road use, the discussion would be allowed. I also saw a post somewhere, recently, where the poster, in another country, said it was perfectly legal where he was. Given that this board is international, it's mighty presumptuous to assume that it is illegal everywhere.

Further, the poster above me (jonlax) (guess I should have "replied"), and anyone else inclined to make similar comments:
A.) You keep perpetuating this myth engines "need" backpressure. It is ABSOLUTLEY UNTRUE! NO 4-cycle gasoline engine currently used in any road going vehicle, that I am aware of, needs backpressure. It is always a bad thing (restricting topend power, and, usually low end as well). Yes, a bit of backpressure may boost very bottom end torque a tiny bit, but it is almost always offset, and then some, by losses throughout the rest of the powerband. The only exception might be an engine that never revs past say 1,500 rpm or so, due to some other mechanical restruction/design issue. While that may be the case with some diesels, I can't see any modern gas motor being limited to this low of an rpm. Therefor, reduced backpressure will always improve overall AVERAGE power, over the entire useful operating range.

Now, with that said, and probably where the misconception comes in, is that engines DO need adequate exhaust gas flow velocity to optimize exhaust scavenging. This is why simply hollowing out the cats is counter productive. It creates a large expansion chamber, slowing exhaust velocity, and hurting performance. On the other hand, simply replacing them with an appropriately sized length of "straight" pipe will, almost always resut in reduced pumping losses, and imporved performance and/or economy.

Now, as to the "preaching": really, I think it's been said enough. Of course anyone asking about it likely knows the legalities involved. If you don't like it, fine. Don't do it, but really quit the "preaching". Particularily since many of you swearing that it is pointless have probably never actually tried it. Further, the actual removal of the cats is not nesc. illegal. The issue is if it increases tailpipe emmissions. If you had the desire/money to pay for a certification test on a "cat-less" vehicle, and it didn't result in increased tailpipe emmissions, over stock, then it would be perfectly legal. Oh, and yes, with the right combination of tuning,and impeccable vehicle maintenance, it may very well be possible to accomplish that.

Besides, how do you know that this isn't a "desert racer" he's talking about building? Don't ask, Don't tell!

Thanks Carguy, you saved me alot of typing.

Replacing them with a pipe that is for offroad use only is not illegal.

I have not had cats on any car I have owned since 2001 and have ALWAYS passed smog, legitimatly.

Also your last line about cats not being a restriction and backpressure being good is a load of horseshit. My Monaro pics up almost 45 RWHP by taking off the mufflers - and that is through a dual 3" catless exhaust. To make an engine efficient you want to move as much air in and out as fast as possible.

For off road use it may be depending on the state but by your statements that conflict with each other it tells me that your will be driving this vehicle on road.

If you have not had any cats on your cars and went threw smog its NOT passing legitimatly. While it may pass its still not legal.

And your 45 WHP will not last long with no back pressure. Cats barely restrict but cause that needed back pressure to keep your engine lasting 100k or more. It causes failure of piston rings along with pre mature valve train wear. Now if its on a track car they can be made to handle no back pressure to a point plus not many care about this unless your in for just peak hp. Making an engine more effiecnt does not always mean getting air in and out as quickly as possible. I have worked on many cars that if the mufflers are too big or the intake is too big you loose power unless you increase displacement or throw forced induction into the picture. My 1987 Monty SS did not like over 2.75 inch exhaust and when it had a 3 inch thats when the engine could not take it and failed. I am not saying your 3 inch is too large because i do not know the set up but anything Anything larger it would loose HP and TQ. My RX7 that i ran for about 5 years was the same even when i put a larger spool on it and upped the boost.

last is this place is a "family" orented fourm, no need for cursing.

Jon

Further, the poster above me (jonlax) (guess I should have "replied"), and anyone else inclined to make similar comments:
A.) You keep perpetuating this myth engines "need" backpressure. It is ABSOLUTLEY UNTRUE! NO 4-cycle gasoline engine currently used in any road going vehicle, that I am aware of, needs backpressure. It is always a bad thing (restricting topend power, and, usually low end as well). Yes, a bit of backpressure may boost very bottom end torque a tiny bit, but it is almost always offset, and then some, by losses throughout the rest of the powerband. The only exception might be an engine that never revs past say 1,500 rpm or so, due to some other mechanical restruction/design issue. While that may be the case with some diesels, I can't see any modern gas motor being limited to this low of an rpm. Therefor, reduced backpressure will always improve overall AVERAGE power, over the entire useful operating range.

I get what your saying and have not disagreed to what you have stated. Free flowing exhaust and intake will make power to a point but when you go too big it will cause scavenging like you stated with the hollowed cats seniero.

Now this is the million dollar question, why would so many race teams tune exhausts to a point where they put dimples or bends in places to cause the right back pressure, not scavenging so the engine works at its peak? This is not with just bolt on exhaust and intakes but race teams from anything to WRC to IIRC to Indy.

Lets put aside the legal question. Cats reduce pollution on any engine. That means that if you remove ar gut them you are increasing the amount of pollution. That air pollution is your trash. When we go off roading we will stop to pick up someone elses trash if they have been thoughtless. So if you think it is OK as long as you can get away with it, dont take it personel when we say that your actions are irresponsible.

And if you think your actions dont have conequences, air pollution causes health issues as well as environmental degredation. Each person is responsible for themselves.

When you are in the forest leave only footprints.

Lets put aside the legal question. Cats reduce pollution on any engine. That means that if you remove ar gut them you are increasing the amount of pollution. That air pollution is your trash. When we go off roading we will stop to pick up someone elses trash if they have been thoughtless. So if you think it is OK as long as you can get away with it, dont take it personel when we say that your actions are irresponsible.

And if you think your actions dont have conequences, air pollution causes health issues as well as environmental degredation. Each person is responsible for themselves.

When you are in the forest leave only footprints.

Well put uncle meat and going back on topic of legality of not having them.

And if you're going to use your Explorer for off-road use only - then break out a welder and make your own Y pipe. And fix that independent suspension :p:

We're going to start seeing dragsters with cats? :crazy:

We need green Volcanoes is what we need!

Dragsters might be out of context in this thread.

If you have not had any cats on your cars and went threw smog its NOT passing legitimatly. While it may pass its still not legal.

To pass legally here in NV all you need is to not have visible smoke, and to not have any hard MIL codes, and we are almost as bad as Commiefornia.

To pass legally here in NV all you need is to not have visible smoke, and to not have any hard MIL codes, and we are almost as bad as Commiefornia.

I'll tell you this PA is worse! When i took my PA emmissions test in december it crazy now. We do a visual to comply with the Fed's rules on cats and other mods. The visual used to be just to make sure the vehicle is driveable but they threw in the cats and other emmission equipment to make sure it works.

I used to get away with out cats in my RX7 but have learned since then. It passed smog every time but with out the cats the Apex seals expanded from the lack of back pressure causing failure of the engine.

i straight piped my 02 for a while and it ran like ****. of course it sounded badass but it drove like ****. put my magnaflow back on and the problems went away completely, so im with everyone that says we need back pressure..

i straight piped my 02 for a while and it ran like ****. of course it sounded badass but it drove like ****. put my magnaflow back on and the problems went away completely, so im with everyone that says we need back pressure..

I think we all should have atleast 10 cats.

Back