Mechanix's going solid. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mechanix's going solid.

I thought it would be a good time to start this thread. I have decided to go SAS in the Explorer. I bought a 79 Ford F-150 3 days ago for the donor vehicle. Up front I will be running a Dana HP44 with 5.13's and some kind of a locker. I have yet to decide if I want a locker or a spool, I am leaning towards the locker. As for the rear I am going with a 9" Ford from the same truck. I will be running 5.14 gears and spool for ease of maintance and to save some cash. I will be staying full width. My plan is to have this all done in 3 months. I will be posting pics as I go. I welcome all ideas, comments and suggestions.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have looked all around for shocks, any input as to what ones to get and where? I was looking at the 5100's, but can't seem to find a decent retailer.

Eric

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I think you'll be really happy with the 5100's... they aren't much more than everyone else's "white" shocks.

I have no idea were would be a good place to get them.

I ran the 5100s on my wifes jheep and I was really happy with them. My sploder has Rs9000s on it now, but if I had it to do again I would put the bilstiens on it. I got mine from a shop locally. They are a dealer and they do drop ship/ sell nationally. You can give them a call at 719-573-6919. Crazy Ed's Performance. You can tell them you know Kirby from the website too. He is familiar with Explorers from all the work I have done on mine. He can look them up by lengths too, so you can measure you drooped/ stuffed lengths and get a shock that doesn't limit your travel.

A small update. I have gotten some things done to the truck as of late. I needed a new fuel pump and strainer installed, appears setting for so long the fuel went bad and rusted up the fuel pump and sending unit. I just a little bit to go and it should be done. I am having a issue with the steering, when I turn to the right it turns VERY hard, but I can steer to the left with no problems. Well let me back up. From a straight to right it turns hard, from straight to left it turns easy, from left to right it turns OK until I get to straight position then it gets hard. I haven't been able to have someone turn the wheel while I watch what is going on, I am sure I have a bind of some sorts. Also I am not confident I have my upper coil mounts spaced apart correctly. The pass. side seems to sit pretty straight but the drivers side seems to lean in pretty good.

mms_picture0.jpg

mms_picture3.jpg

mms_picture4.jpg

Eric

That binding is odd. I can't think of what it would be. I wouldn't bother with the coil bow. Mine does it as bad as any of them and I have really long springs. Never had an issue... I don't know what the big deal is other than asthetics. Yours looks better than mine.

SAS and coil bow are like bread and butter. I have it too.

Have someone turn the wheel while you watch it. It might bind right were the draglink bolts on to the tie rod... look around the jamnut or right behind. That spot might be touching the draglink a bit when you turn right.

I had the only SAS Explorer ive ever seen with no coil bow, until i "fixed" it by moving the front forward and repositioning the coil cups. Now it bows like everyone elses. :p:

I am using the stock pitnam arm. I have a drop down one, but I am thinking I might need a longer one that moves the joint further forward than what I have already. I supose I could straighten the one I have with a little heat and the press. I think I read about someone else having this issue and getting a pitnam arm off a E-350 or something goofy like that.

Eric

Just a small update, I got all the brake lines all done, though it seems the master cyl sat too long with no fluid and one of the cups on the piston is not working good the pedal just goes to the floor. Next up will be finishing up some small welding I have to do and finally decide on shocks.

Eric

I oredered a master cyl from a mid 90's f150 thinking the bigger piston would work better and give me better stopping, well it might but it has a goofy fitting that I am not sure I can adapt to. So what are all of you using for a master cylinder?

Eric

What did you figure oout on the pitman arm? I need a longer one too...

I redrilled my lower coil spring mounts and rotated them abit around to get my springs pretty close to straight

What did you figure about on the pitnan arm? I need a longer one too...

Nothing, I finally had someone turn the wheel so I could see the steering cycle. It looks very close where the center link meets up to the drag link. I think a pitnam arm from a e series van is more straight. I was thinking of heating mine up with the torch to straighten it then put a slight twist in it so the center link joint wouldn't be at such an angle.

Eric

I dropped off the Explorer off to get new drive shafts made for the front and the rear, shocks are on there way as I type this. I have the brakes all done, but the pedal goes to the floor and then gets somewhat hard. I have bled and bled the brakes with no luck. I am using the stock master cylinder on this. I have converted the rear to disc and upgraded the front to disc brakes. Looking for some input from what others have done in the this situation.

Eric

I don't know that I can answer that question but are we goin wheelin when you get this crap all finished? I'm workin on mine too, sounds like you might be done before me.

Drive shafts are done and the shocks arrived today. Just need to pick it up from the drive shaft place and get the shocks on. Still need to figure out the brake issue, this is very important. Still reading other SAS threads to get some ideas.

Eric

I think you have something broke/not working right on the brakes. There are others running your setup and while not ideal its nothing like you describe. Is there a chance you coulda got some air in the MC and maybe need to bench bleed it?

It seems odd I can lock up the rear wheels when the pedal goes all the way to the floor, but the fronts dont. When I bleed the master in the truck I get great pressure out of the fronts but not the back. Seems odd, going out there now to see what I can find. Will update soon.

Eric

Do you still have the ABS pump in it? I threw mine in the trash and just plumbed everything directly to the mc. If you have the pump in it there could be bubbles that you can't get bled out maybe?

Back