• Register Today It's free!

Lowering first Gen Explorer.

dmanhogg

Reaction score
City, State
Penticton, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XL
First off, Hey all, this is my first post on the sight, although i've been browsing the forums for quite some time.
I've come to read just about every thread about lowering a first gen X that i can find, but every single one has some different info, and i need to figure out what I'm doing.
I have a '94 XL 4X4. i'd like to lower her 3", but it's been said that the 4X4 wont let me do that. However, i have also heard that it wont be a problem. I'd like to stay away from the axle conversion, but if it's a must then I'll have to do it.
Now, the back will be on blocks, but is it possible to lower the front with different springs?
Any info on this is a huge help. thanks a ton guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, seeing your X and looking at some of the knowledge you've handed out, i can see that you know what your doing, so..
what do you think my best option is for going as low as possible on a budget?
thanks a ton

Thanks for your comments. As for your truck you best bet would be a 2/3 drop with coils in the front and blocks in the rear. If you want to go lower you will need to ditch the 4x4 and will need the drop beams and 2wd spindles along with 2wd steering components (pitman arm, inner and outter tie rods) You could probably get these from a pull a part or the like. you would also need to remove the driveshaft and possably the transfer case. I have not done the conversion but this is pretty much what is involved.

Pretty much you can do a 5 inch front end static drop with out bags or hydros. if you go that far int he front I would suggest lowering blocks and then leaf springs in the rear for a 6 inch rear drop and a bolt in 2.25" frame c notch along with drop shocks.

i think a 2/3 would look pretty good for right now.
is there springs i can buy, or am i just looking at a machine shop cutting them for me?

belltech 2" coils for I beam rangers pre 97. dont cut them I had a shop do mine when I was young and dumb and it rode like crap and could not be re aligned.

I was gonna try to cut mine, and then im glad i read up a little on here, i didnt even think about the consequences lol

belltech 2" coils for I beam rangers pre 97. dont cut them I had a shop do mine when I was young and dumb and it rode like crap and could not be re aligned.

Now, do i need to get Ranger drop springs? Or are Ranger springs shorter?

just as stated belltech ranger 2" drop springs, the old explorer eibach 2" drop coils had the same part number as the ranger, eibach stopped making those coils and belltech is the only good company that makes them now. I used to sell belltech stuff but closed my account with the distributor cause they were a rip off. I setup another account with a new supplier and am just waiting on my info to arrive. those springs usually go for around $150 I think off my head plus shipping. Theres a couple places they are available online.

Perfect. Thanks for all the help Slammed.

Hey Slammed, one more question for you..
where did you get your front bumper? i cant find an aftermarket bumper anywhere!

Where can I get the lowered I-beams at. there not the same as a ranger are they.

AIM Industries.

Ryan

i know its an old thread but if you did the 2/3 drop would you need anything else for the front or just the coils?

On a 1g, you will def need an alignment kit. You'll have some negative camber that a camber bushing kit would correct. Best bet is suck it up, go to sears/monroe/etc etc and pay the 30 buck for the bushings and 99 for the alignment, unless you enjoy beating your hands to death....

i know its an old thread but if you did the 2/3 drop would you need anything else for the front or just the coils?

im driving a 91 2wd explorer. now what drop would look good with 18's. i was thinking the 3 inch drop beams and blocks in the rear or should i go a differant route.

On a 1g, you will def need an alignment kit. You'll have some negative camber that a camber bushing kit would correct. Best bet is suck it up, go to sears/monroe/etc etc and pay the 30 buck for the bushings and 99 for the alignment, unless you enjoy beating your hands to death....

Thank you looks like I will be getting the bushings and an alignment

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Closer to Ground

92 2WD
Cut front springs to about 2 inch lower.
Running 17" Mustang GT wheels. with 235 65 17 Goodyears.
As of last night at Midnight, I'm re-aligned using adjustable bushings.
New Monroes in place also.
Cut springs give a bounce ride so im ordering new springs made.

Rear is 2 inch using Block.
But I am not happy with Diff housing slapping frame on bumps.
So I will do something else with that.

http://seagoon.webs.com/photos/Edmonton 2010 from LG 131.jpg

Back