F-150 8.8 Swap? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F-150 8.8 Swap?

FROADER said:
Is it that little yellow framed deal in 90ranajo's tube door thread?
No, that is my sons go-kart. The secret project will be much more fun:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Felix said:
From what I have seen and read the 10.25 is semi-floated. You still have to take the tire off the axle to pull it, just like on the 9in axle. Now the 10.5 which my old utility truck had on it was fully floated. They have the huge center hub with 6 bolts on it. That surface with the 6 bolts is the end of your axle and can be pulled with out even taking the tire off.

Of course as always, I could be totally wrong about this.
No, the 10.25 and the 10.5 Sterling are basically the same thing. The 10.5 came in 99-up Superdutys... only thing is it has the weird metric 8 lug pattern. The 10.25 is (i think) around 87-97, the old square body trucks. It is just like the 10.5 and can run the 10.5 gears- full floater and friggin huge.

Now, there also is a 9.75 Sterling that is semi-float and 5 lug. It came in Supercrews and just about any 97-up F150 that had the 5.4 in it.

My 90 F250 has a semi-float 10.25. :(

At least for some years, the F250 came as a light duty with a semi-float, or a heavy-duty with the full float.

Ill be damned.... i never even knew there was a semi-float 10.25.

Well I'll bring this thread back from the dead, as Stic-o seems to have a lot of good ideas when it comes to a SAS. My question is, are the spring perches on the 97+ f-150 8.8 the same width as the explorer's? I'm trying to find a way to keep my new gears and my new locker. At a minimum, the locker. I have found wheels that claim to be drilled for both the metric and 5x5.5 bolt patterns, so that's not the issue. I want to keep discs in back if I can, and im out $600 if I go the route of Stic-o, so....

are the spring perches on the 97+ f-150 8.8 the same width as the explorer's?
That's really not an issue ;). Measure (the angle), cut and weld these on.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120074/

dcc-4120074.jpg

the 97+ FW8.8 have the metric pattern (5x135mm) but probally have same spring pearch as the older FW8.8. Your going to have to cut the old off and put new ones on...period! You'd have to swap your to the top on your stock 8.8 anyway. Also your going to need somewhere to mount your shocks. If your doing a sas, this is a walk in the park;) Everything from your current 8.8 will swap over to the pre 96 FW8.8, Minus the rotors. Those will need to be special ordered from Currie or someone else.;)

Yep! The Ifs wasn't cutting it anymore, and I'm mad at the fact my new steering rack went out :D. Hum, I thought I would need the housing adapters to ditch the drums on a pre 97 8.8? Cheapest set of those I have seen is $300. Plus a $300 dollar axle. I found a 98 8.8 for $200, plus $100 in new brake hardware, and $20 for the perches (thanks IZ :thumbsup: ). Hence why I'm shooting for the newer one.

and $20 for the perches (thanks IZ :thumbsup: )
Just make sure you put a Mopar decal on your Explorer afterwards hmmmkay? :). Oh and just an FYI, those perches are for 3" diameter axle tubes, but the 8.8 is just a bit wider than 3" - so a few minutes with the grinder is necessary.

Mopar-logo-28915667C6-seeklogo.com.gif

Eh, why not help them out of bankruptcy :p:

Just make sure you put a Mopar decal on your Explorer afterwards hmmmkay? :). Oh and just an FYI, those perches are for 3" diameter axle tubes, but the 8.8 is just a bit wider than 3" - so a few minutes with the grinder is necessary.

Mopar-logo-28915667C6-seeklogo.com.gif

DOH! That's what I forgot to do!:p:

Thise are the ones I used.;)

Yep! The Ifs wasn't cutting it anymore, and I'm mad at the fact my new steering rack went out :D. Hum, I thought I would need the housing adapters to ditch the drums on a pre 97 8.8? Cheapest set of those I have seen is $300. Plus a $300 dollar axle. I found a 98 8.8 for $200, plus $100 in new brake hardware, and $20 for the perches (thanks IZ :thumbsup: ). Hence why I'm shooting for the newer one.

Currie Rotors $69.95 each + shipping;)
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/ProductsRE.aspx?id=1921

you should be able to find a pre '96 axle in your local junk yard for no more then $150.

You will need new perches and shock mounts.

You will also need new longer brake lines. My SAS thread has the detail on this I believe;)

Nobody said a SAS was cheap my friend

the 97+ FW8.8 have the metric pattern (5x135mm) but probally have same spring pearch as the older FW8.8. Your going to have to cut the old off and put new ones on...period! You'd have to swap your to the top on your stock 8.8 anyway. Also your going to need somewhere to mount your shocks. If your doing a sas, this is a walk in the park;) Everything from your current 8.8 will swap over to the pre 96 FW8.8, Minus the rotors. Those will need to be special ordered from Currie or someone else.;)

Currie Rotors $69.95 each + shipping;)
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/ProductsRE.aspx?id=1921

you should be able to find a pre '96 axle in your local junk yard for no more then $150.

You will need new perches and shock mounts.

You will also need new longer brake lines. My SAS thread has the detail on this I believe;)

Nobody said a SAS was cheap my friend

so....according to ^^^^ rotors, perches, shock mounts, ex 8.8, and a fw 8.8 are all that is needed for this swap?
i finally found a 94 f150 8.8 for $50, 20min from the house!
stic, you say this is a bolt on swap, but does your "bolt on" mean a few washers, a grinder, a bfh and some 4letter words?? thats cool if it does, just want to clarify

so....according to ^^^^ rotors, perches, shock mounts, ex 8.8, and a fw 8.8 are all that is needed for this swap?
i finally found a 94 f150 8.8 for $50, 20min from the house!
stic, you say this is a bolt on swap, but does your "bolt on" mean a few washers, a grinder, a bfh and some 4letter words?? thats cool if it does, just want to clarify

yes;)

Don't forget by doing my way, you get to keep you factory E-brake;)

I know this is a little old but there is a lot of good info in here! I'm thinking about my options in the future and just want to make sure I have everything figured out. Stic-o, were you able to use the VSS in the full width 8.8? And is it possible to keep ABS working? Was ABS even available in '96 and older trucks?

Also, I haven't been able to find what gears were available in F150s/Broncos. Anybody know if 4.10s were available, in either 96 and older or 97 and newer? I'm assuming there was never anything higher than 4.10 offered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, I haven't been able to find what gears were available in F150s/Broncos. Anybody know if 4.10s were available, in either 96 and older or 97 and newer? I'm assuming there was never anything higher than 4.10 offered.

ABS was available. Doesn't look like 410s were an option though in 96.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 8.54.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 8.54.29 PM.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 371

Back