• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Stopped Working

djcruz2006

Reaction score
City, State
Bryan, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
i have a 2001 X sport 4x4, i used the 4x4 in the snow, switched back to 2 wheel and hasnt work since, i turn the dial and nothing , no light no engaging, has anyone had this problem, ???any fuses, resets, test... anything will help

check that when you first start your truck that the 4wd lights light up and go through their self tests then turn off.

if your not getting lights at start up then you need to replace the 4x4 control module. on my brothers 01 sport it was located behind the passenger side kick panel.

Check fuses in the drivers side dash and the one under the hood in the fuse block. My guess is also, that you have a bad 4x4 Control module. From my research, it's pretty common in 2001-2003 explorer, rangers and sport tracs.

I figure this thread might be the best place to post this, as I didn't know how to search for my exact problem, but this topic kinda covers it.

I was wheeling today and admittedly I was in some pretty nasty rocks climbing this hill. When I got hung up on my rear gas tank skid plate/rear-front spring hangers, my buddies/spotters noticed my front wheels weren't pulling and the drive shaft wasn't turning!

It had worked fine all day, and even worked good after I got myself outta that stuff, but I have not idea why they weren't pulling. My 4wd/4lo lights were on, I had my "brown wire" mod switch to 4wd and was gasing it pretty good with both rear wheels spinning(locker). I'm sure it's not a fuse, because it started working again. Like working as soon as I got out of being all jacked up on the rocks/holes.

What in the world went on? How can I remedy or prevent this from happening in the future? Truck has 33x12.50 M/T Baja MTZ's on it.

Back