4x4 stopped working on a hill.....then started working again? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 stopped working on a hill.....then started working again?

TB

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS 4wd
I was wheeling today and admittedly I was in some pretty nasty rocks climbing this hill. When I got hung up on my rear gas tank skid plate/rear-front spring hangers, my buddies/spotters noticed my front wheels weren't pulling and the drive shaft wasn't turning!

It had worked fine all day, and even worked good after I got myself outta that stuff, but I have no idea why they weren't pulling in that last situation. My 4wd/4lo lights were on, I had my "brown wire" mod switch to 4wd and was gasing it pretty good with both rear wheels spinning(locker). I'm sure it's not a fuse, because it started working again. Like working as soon as I got out of being all jacked up on the rocks/holes and worked fine on the next hill(s).

What in the world went on? How can I remedy or prevent this from happening in the future? Truck has 33x12.50 M/T Baja MTZ's on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is the clutch in your transfer case since as it can't take that much torque. I have witnessed this as well with another member on here when we were wheeling, about the only remedy is to put in a 1354 transfer case.

Awesome!! Thank you very much. I'll look/search into that option.

same thing happened to me in the same situation, except my 4wd lights went off.

After searching(maybe i'm searching wrong words?), it seems that for my application I just need to get a T-case from a 95-2000 Explorer/Ranger with the manual and i'll be good to go? I don't really care if the 4wd lights work or not.

Also, it seems there were mixed reviews in whether or not i'd need a different front driveshaft? Geeezz....

Back