• Register Today It's free!

How to: Projector Halo's

gt183

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
I was having a problem with these aftermarket fogs, but I figured it out and cleaned up my posts with some How To's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok here are some pictures.

11harness.jpg

This is a picture of the complete harness. The two black cables you see go to the fog lights. They come together at the top. There's a red and a black wire with O-rings, a fuse holder, and another connector that goes into a relay that was supplied. From there a blue and a white wire branch off to another connector that connects to a switch.

12leftfog.jpg

These are the three wires that go to the left fog light (Blue is optional. Can be used to supply power to switch down the line).

13rightfog.jpg

These are the three wires that go to the right fog light (Blue is optional. Can be used to supply power to switch down the line).

14power.jpg

This is where the power comes in from.

15powerconnectorandfuse.jpg

Here is the fuse holder and a connector.

16converter.jpg

S11 Relay

17converterinside.jpg

Prong shot of the S11 Relay

18switch.jpg

This is the connector where the switch plugs into.

19connector.jpg

Closeup of the connector.

20switch.jpg

Closeup of the switch connector that plugs into the connector above.

21groundandunknown.jpg

These are the last two wires at the end of the line. They come from the connector above. The blue wire provides power to the switch.

22stockfog.jpg

This is the back of the original fog light.

23stockharness.jpg

These are the wires from the stock harness.

24stockconnector.jpg

This is the connector from the stock harness.

25newfogpower.jpg

These are two wires from the that power the Halo. They get spliced into your factory harness.

26newfogunknown.jpg

These are the other two wires from the new fog lights, they control the projector. White to White, Black to Black.

27mounted.jpg

This is how it looks mounted.

Ummm... hard to say by the pics... have you tried searching up a diagram...???

AFter looking at it for a few minutes... got me thinking... why don't you try wiring it all up outside of the explorer... and making sure you got it right... putting the plugs that are the same color and opposite mates should work on the most part... the switch and the blue wires at the fogs are what are confusing me...

Ummm... hard to say by the pics... have you tried searching up a diagram...???

AFter looking at it for a few minutes... got me thinking... why don't you try wiring it all up outside of the explorer... and making sure you got it right... putting the plugs that are the same color and opposite mates should work on the most part... the switch and the blue wires at the fogs are what are confusing me...

I tried searching for a diagram, but couldn't find anything. I'm gonna ask the seller for the name of the manufacturer, see if I can get anything from them. Maybe if I find a diagram for the factory harness I could figure it out. But yea wiring it outside of the car first would of been smart, lol. The right fog was a pain to get in though, so I'll leave that as last resort. But yea the switch and the blues are confusing me too, especially the lone one at the end of the line.

That device I thought was a power converter is a relay. I'll be honest, I don't no exactly what a relay does, but I've heard the term plenty of times. Here is a pdf file on this particular relay:

http://124.219.27.219/big5/maker03/htm/PDF_new/S11.pdf

A relay is basically just a switch that can handle the current your lights need to run. The switch inside the relay is turned on when you push the on switch. So, the power comes from the battery, to your switch, then to the relay, which turns on, then out to the lights from the relay. If you tried to send power from the battery to the lights just through the switch, you stand a good chance of melting something.

There are some good wiring write ups in the "performance lighting" section of this forum that should have all the answers you need. There is nothing special about that set-up you have. You just need to learn how the relay works. Do a little reading and it should all make sense.... Good Luck!

A relay is basically just a switch that can handle the current your lights need to run. The switch inside the relay is turned on when you push the on switch. So, the power comes from the battery, to your switch, then to the relay, which turns on, then out to the lights from the relay. If you tried to send power from the battery to the lights just through the switch, you stand a good chance of melting something.

There are some good wiring write ups in the "performance lighting" section of this forum that should have all the answers you need. There is nothing special about that set-up you have. You just need to learn how the relay works. Do a little reading and it should all make sense.... Good Luck!

Ok great, thanks for the tip. I just wanted to upload a few more pics I took after taking a closer look at the harness:

31relay.jpg

This is the diagram of the relay from the PDF. From what I can tell the grounds go to the top left, the white wire that comes from the switch goes to the bottom left, the red wire from the fuse goes to the top right, and the two white wires from the fogs go to the bottom right. To me this says that the white wire from the switch tells the relay to open or close the circuit on the right side of the relay that would turn the fog lights on and off (I know thats obvious, I'm just explaining the wire setup). The blue wire never goes into the main connector, it just goes into the electrical tape and comes right out.

32relayandconnectortop.jpg

33relayandconnectorbott.jpg

34switchsplice.jpg

This is the tape by the switch connector. I took the tape of and the two blue wires splice into one another and go to the same pin on the connector.

This is how I see it....

The new lights have 4 wires right? 2 for the led halos and 2 for the actual fog light. I'm guessing you want the halos to be independent of the lights. How do you want the halos to operate? If you want them to be 100% independent then you need the switch and wire them to a power source preferably with a relay. You could tap them into your parking lights to come on with them.
For your fogs, you could always just cut the connector off the stock harness and connect. They'll work with your stock switch this way.

You never posted pics of the back of the new lights. I'm guessing that they use the small fog light bulb - not the monster bulbs the stockers use.

This is how I see it....

The new lights have 4 wires right? 2 for the led halos and 2 for the actual fog light. I'm guessing you want the halos to be independent of the lights. How do you want the halos to operate? If you want them to be 100% independent then you need the switch and wire them to a power source preferably with a relay. You could tap them into your parking lights to come on with them.
For your fogs, you could always just cut the connector off the stock harness and connect. They'll work with your stock switch this way.

You never posted pics of the back of the new lights. I'm guessing that they use the small fog light bulb - not the monster bulbs the stockers use.

You hit the nail on the head muzzy.

Definitely post some pics when you get them in and working! I'd love to see how they look!

Definitely post some pics when you get them in and working! I'd love to see how they look!

Will do DVR, I had them working yesterday just with some slap stick wiring and it looked pretty neat, especially with just the halos on. It will look better when I finally get enough money to do hids for both the low beams and the fogs. I wanna make custom projector headlights from the smoked ones they sell on ebay. And if its not too hard, add an audi led strip in there or match them with the fogs with led halos.

Finally figured these out. I have to say I've learned a lot over the last few days. I was still having trouble with relays though, I didn't understand them even after reading many different articles. But then I came across this video that really helped me.

I figured I would fill in the gaps with these fog lights just in case some one needs help with these in the future.

There are four wires coming out from the fog light, a white with its corresponding black, and a red with its corresponding black.

The red and the black get wired into the factory fog light harness, this controls the LED halo. I didn't want to splice into my factory harness, so I bought a short 9145 harness here to connect my new fog lights to. This gives me a nice factory connection without damaging my factory harness.

Now the aftermarket harness (see above posts) has a white, black, and blue wire coming out to each fog light. I'll explain the blue wire later on. The white and the black wire from the harness get plugged into the white and black wires from the fog lights, easy enough. Now going to the top of the harness by the relay, the red wire goes to the positive terminal on the battery, and the black wire to the negative terminal (or a corresponding ground).

Now there is a white wire coming out of the harness that runs to the switch with the blue wire. The white wire is used for the switching mechanism and supplies power to the relay. The blue wire (which comes back out the switch and continues) is used to supply power to the switch. You can splice this into your running lights at the end of the harness, or you can utilize the blue wires back down by your fog lights to provide the power. The downside of the latter is you wont be able to operate the halos and projectors independently.

So that's how this harness was designed to work...here's what I did:

I basically followed all the steps above up until it came to the switch. I cut the white wire going to the switch right before it went into the connector to the switch. I then proceeded to splice it into the right headlight power wire. This way my projectors will always come on with my headlights, and my halos operate independently when I pull the fog light switch.

As far as running the wires, I ran them underneath the front bumper, and then pulled the relay and fuse up to the engine bay by the battery (following the factory fog light harness). I had to take the battery out to do this. The relay and fuse sit nicely underneath the battery mount plate without getting squished. I then ran the white wire to the right headlight following the factory harness. Heres some pics from the installation (before I put electrical tape around all my connections). Sorry I didn't take more, but I had to beat the rain:

32184399.jpg
60312851.jpg
30837365.jpg

Gt, great call on the short wire harness! Wouldn't have thought of that but it's a great way to maintain the Integrity of your factory harness! When you get some time, can you post some pics of the lights running at night? Also, did you step up to HID for the fogs at the same time? Nice work, and thanks for the write-up!

Gt, great call on the short wire harness! Wouldn't have thought of that but it's a great way to maintain the Integrity of your factory harness! When you get some time, can you post some pics of the lights running at night? Also, did you step up to HID for the fogs at the same time? Nice work, and thanks for the write-up!

Thanks DVR, and no HIDs ATM. Hoping to do the headlights and fogs at the same time. Hopefully by the end of the year.

Heres the Pics:

77900250.jpg

This is right after the install

32441289.jpg
70975491.jpg
40559461.jpg

Darkest to Brightest

49613311.jpg
72789569.jpg
77349683.jpg

Close up

52951513.jpg
99588041.jpg
36396072.jpg

What it looks like on the road

I am very happy with these. The coming days will show how good of a job I did (lot of rain coming).

***Accident Sorry***

looks sweet, where did you get those fogs?

looks sweet, where did you get those fogs?

It was in his original post before it was cleaned up. He got them off of Ebay I believe.

Back