Factory Tow Wiring Harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Tow Wiring Harness

I have a 2006 explorer limited v8 with factory tow. I'm in the process of installing the brake controller however my truck has the oem harness but no instructions on what color wire is for what.

The harness has five wires red, blue, purple with white strip, black with white strip and brown.

I need to find out what wire does what so i can splice the brake controller harness in to the ford harness

Im guessing the the blue is for the brakes and red is power but not sure on the other ones plus i only need 4 wires for my brake controller and the ford harness has 5 wires???

My brake controller is a Hopkins Brake Force

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Johnson,

May I ask what you are going to tow?

I just bough a V8 06 and plan to tow a 2500 race car on a 1500 trailer. I'll be needing to add the brake controller too so keep me posted.

Don

I'm towing my travel trailer rockwood roo 21 foot its 2700lbs dry i figure its about 3000 after packed. I used to tow with my v6 1999 explorer so i cant wait to pick up from storage and see the diffrence. The v8 has a 7100lb towing compared to the 3500 my other explorer so im sure this new one should pull with absolutely no problems.

not sure if they are available for your controler, but for my Prodigy controler, I was able to get a wiring harness that had a matching connector to my Trucks harness on one end and a connector that hooked up to the controler on the other. I think it was 15 bucks and I didn't have to do any wire splicing, etc.

The Prodigy controller has a Ford adapter available. WELL WORTH the $15. It's literally plug-n-play.

Can't help with the wiring diagrams off-hand... But FYI, if you're 'Roo is $2700 dry, I can almost guarantee you'll be well over 3000lbs wet, probably closer to 3500 (if not a little more). It adds up FAST!! 'Dry weight' in the RV world doesn't usually include 'optional' items.... Propane? 35lbs. Battery? 50lbs. Fridge? 75 lbs. Furnace? 35lbs. Awning? Depending on the type, maybe another 50 or so. On-board potty and shower? 100lbs. Water? 30 gallons x 7 lbs/gallon = 210lbs. Food for a weekend? (What's your cooler normally weigh without ice? maybe 40 lbs loaded?) Spare tire? 25lbs.

Before you've loaded any personal items, bedding, pots and pans, dishes, toiletries, etc, you've already gained 620lbs... It adds up SO fast....

Back