4wd kicking in and out under acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd kicking in and out under acceleration

Yamaha101

Reaction score
City, State
Edinboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
My 02 xlt is kicking in and out of 4wd sometimes, under medium acceleration...Anyone had this problem and/or ideas what to look for/fix.

Its an AWD stlye explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so, if your explorer is a true AWD, then their is no way it would be kicking in and out, as it is a fulltime 4x4,

what im guessing you have is an AUTO 4x4, which is close to the same, most of the time it is in 2wd but when it detects wheel slippage it automaticly locks into 4wd high.

Does your x have buttons for Auto 4x4, 4x4 high and 4x4 low?

when mine was doing the same thing it was because my tires needed to be rotated. these explorers are very picky when it comes to that. its because the tires wear down and the explorer thinks it is tire slippage. also make sure they are inflated to the proper PSI (35 rear, 30 front) as this can cause it too. hope that hleps

You are correct...its auto 4wd not awd. I would imagine you are correct....my tires are not the best. My one on the passenger rear must of been over inflated and is wore more than the rest and is more than likely doing what you say it is. Time for some new shoes....THANKS

You may not need new shoes, check your inflation & rotate.

RWD vehicles w/o a limit slip will wear out the passenger side tire first. This is where most of your torque ends up (think about one-tire-fire)

Remember too rotate your tires! Every oil change if you do it yourself. With a shop jack and a jackstand it takes about half an hour???

I had the same problem 2 years ago - I had a wheel speed sensor fail. Dealer replaced faulty part - problem went away.

Ended up being my tires wearing different and it was too much of a difference....New Tires No Problem

Back