'04+ owners: Want better throttle response? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'04+ owners: Want better throttle response?

I have a horrible throttle response in my 05 f150...think this will work for it as well? 4.6 v8 btw :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a horrible throttle response in my 05 f150...think this will work for it as well? 4.6 v8 btw :)

Try it and let us know what happens

I'm not sure if the 4.6 uses this or not. Only one way to find out though!

If you open the throttle blade, you should be able to peek in there and see if it's a straight shot, or if there indeed is little vanes sticking up.

The '00 Crown Vic has no such spacer...Just a flat gasket attatching the TB directly to the plenum with no restrictions. Same goes for the 4.0 SOHC in the newest Mustangs.

That corner thing is *exactly* what I don't like about the explorer. Ford says I was hallucinating. I thought it was a secret plan to force me to have to buy a new tranny sooner rather than later.

I am out the door to go get a gasket. God bless you, dude! People like you are why I come to these forums.

-Shawn

can someone link the 2002 mod thread? i have been searchin for a while and cant find it. thanks!

well i just did it and drove it a few times. it seems at times to a have a little effect, but im not sure. it could just be me thinking what i did has an effect. i need to give the computer a few more starts i think, but we shall see.

thanks for posting the thread,

well i just did it and drove it a few times. it seems at times to a have a little effect, but im not sure. it could just be me thinking what i did has an effect. i need to give the computer a few more starts i think, but we shall see.

thanks for posting the thread,

You can also take into consideration that you may see no advantage to the mod if other things in the aspiration process are not performing to par.
My plugs are newly changed, K&N filter in stock (no swiss cheese mod).

Good luck.

You can also take into consideration that you may see no advantage to the mod if other things in the aspiration process are not performing to par.
My plugs are newly changed, K&N filter in stock (no swiss cheese mod).

Good luck.

I have a K&N CAI with the cone filter, and I could see the plugs needing to be changed. I'm at 80K and they haven't. I am getting those anyways, but don't have them yet. I dunno. I didn't notice much 'seat of my pants' increase, doesn't mean its not there.

I have a K&N CAI with the cone filter, and I could see the plugs needing to be changed. I'm at 80K and they haven't. I am getting those anyways, but don't have them yet. I dunno. I didn't notice much 'seat of my pants' increase, doesn't mean its not there.

Yeah that is true the gains may be there, but its not gonna toss you back in the seat..lol. I was just looking for some mpg gain. I have seen what looks like about 1mpg highway. I have not been able to recalibrate my Scanguage yet to retest it, since I have been only doing local driving.

I did it.....

Well, I did it this afternoon.

Gasket with washers

pic1.jpg

Engine Compartment:

pic2.jpg

Close up of the throttle body:

pic3.jpg

The yellow arrow points to the toothy thing that has to go.

Take a screwdriver and pop the hose loose.

Then, using an 8mm socket, carefully remove the four bolts below:

pic4.jpg

The upper left one needs either a deep well or a wrench. Be careful, those things are screwed into plastic.....

Once the throat is unscrewed, you'll see something like this:

pic5.jpg

I got bored and drew a face on it. It just falls off. Clean carefully the mating surfaces, apply the new paper gasket and then screw the bolts back on. Here is where I had an issue - none of the washers I bought fit. Duh. So, I didn't want to go back to the store. I noticed the toothy thing has metal inserts for the plate. I popped them out, and voila - washers.

pic7.jpg

Dunno how it will work long run, but I drove it around town, and they didn't loosen. I did absolutely notice a difference in the bottom end. And much less hesitation where I had serious tip in issues earlier. Butt-dyno reflects moderate gains in RWHP... lol Thanks cornburner!

I did notice a lot of buildup on the filter side of the plate, though:

pic6.jpg

Dunno what it could be. and in a minor hijack, what is the appendix - looking thing and the blocky looking thing on the hose from the filter to the throttle body?

pic8.jpg

-Shawn

im pretty sure that "blocky thing" is the resonator. it helps quiet the intake down. i know on my k & n it makes aton of noise, so im sure that it does have quite the effect.

but i hdont have that year, could be wrong

I know this is an old thread, but im very interested in this mod !

EB CORNBURNER or HIGH ORDER 1...

has this mod held up since the install ? I hate the extreme throttle lag my 05 4.0 has. I punch the throttle, and it takes a second to really start to go...

would it be possible to take the gasket out, and just trim the teeth off ?

i know its a cheap mod, but just curious ?

Does anyone make a metal spacer to replace this plastic one on my '04 V6? I know I can do them mod and it wouldn't matter but I was curious. Oh yeah, has anyone come out with a decent cold air intake for '04 and later V6s other than KKM? For those that have the KKM are you satisfied with quality and function? Thanks.

Just did this mod on my 04 Exp Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 4WD.

I can say 100% throttle response is improved. After taking off the throttle body, I noticed it was extremely dirty inside the butterfly valve. Cleaned with throttle body cleaner and inside the intake.

I used equivalent gasket 61050 and 12 x 1/4 inch washers from Home depot (3 per bolt).

My mileage has also increased to 7.5l/100km on FLAT highway (31.3mpg) doing 100km/h (62mph) on cruise. City driving has so far put me at 10.5 l/100km (22.4mpg) but I still need to do more km's to test further.

Throttle response is better as well.

So it could have been the cleaning or the new gasket, or both. But this did work for me.

EDIT :

OK so PCM must have been re-learning the strategy, fuel economy is about the same as before. I can do 25mpg hwy @ 100km/h and 22mpg @ 110km/h. City combined I'm at 15mpg :(

So it is within EPA guidelines still, but this mod does not appear to affect fuel economy. Responsiveness has increased, but I also have the high pitched whistle too.

Sorry I haven't replied.

My vehicle has run just fine as far as this mod is concerned. No loosening of the bolts that I've noted, and the tip-in remains lessened.

There are other things that help, like making sure your vehicle's PCM has the correct flash in it as well, but E.B. really knocked this one out of the park.

I wish it were a sticky.

Shawn

The 4.6L does not have that piece

Just did the switch with the fel-pro gasket!! Didn't notice much of a lag improvement. Well maybe a little but that just could be wishfully thinking. Also new plugs, wires, air filter, cleaned throttle body. Next step will be the intake tubes, and hopefully that will help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone explain how this is done step by step with pictures. I cannot seem to find a thread with pictures and directions. I'm unsure what to do

Back