• Register Today It's free!

Wheel/Tire Combo

FLOffroad

Reaction score
City, State
Wasatch, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Forester; 08 ST sold :(
I'm thinking about getting some 17" offroad style wheels to replace my OEM wheels.
First, when I search websites for wheels I seem to get a lot more options when selecting "17x8 with 5x4.5 bolt pattern," as opposed to wheels that "fit an 08 Sport Trac Limited." I know part of that could be due to backspacing, but I just find it odd that I can get 50+ results with the 1st search, but only like 12 results with the 2nd search. (On that note, does anyone know the minimum backspacing?). Not to mention, depending on what site you go to, some say a certain wheel would work, while others say it wouldn't.

As for my specific problem, I am interested in the Pro Comp 7028 Series that is 17x8.5, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, 4.75" of backspacing, not hub centric and offset of 0mm (Here's a link - http://www.procomptires.com/truck-jeep-wheels/pxa-series-7028-wheels.aspx) . I am interested in fitting 265/70R17 BFG KM2s that are 31.9" with a Rim width range of 7"-8.5" (Measured rim width of 8"). Does anyone see any real problems with that set up? I know that 17x8.5 isn't optimal for that tire, but I can't really find other beadlock style flat black wheels that fit the ST (I'd get real beadlocks, but they cost more than a 4x as a winch).
Also, same tire, but would a Black Rock Series 909 17x8, 5x4.5 bolt pattern (says 5x4.5 and 5x4.75, how does that work?), 4.50" backspacing, not hub centric and offset of 0mm work on my ST? Also, would the 17x8 with the 265/70R17s really be that much better than the 17x8.5 wheel?

Note - offroad functionality/durability is important to me,it's not just a show truck.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem will be with the offset on certain wheels. I'd buy locally if you can. My local Costco sells Pro Comp, and they stated they should fit. I inquired DiscountTireDirect about Black Rock wheels, and they stated they would rub on the caliper due to the spoke design. The ST has a high OEM offset. A "0" will set the wheels out further (probably past the fenders). You best bet is to test fit some locally. If you mail order, contact their Customer Service first.

Great thanks. I planned on buying locally, I gotta find some places that sell Pro-Comp wheels, and are also tirerack dealers (I want to make a 1 stop shop for some 31.9" BFG KM2s and wheels).

Thanks again.

For some reason, only 1 of my Costcos sell Pro Comp (or any wheels). They are quite cheaper than 4wheelparts.com. I priced 17s, and they were < $118/ea for the black painted aluminum. I just haven't raised enough funds yet.

Wow, I hope I can find a price like that, did you inquire abotu 7028s or a different Pro Comp wheel?

Oh, ok, with the $60 each for install that sounds more like the prices I've been seeing. Nice choice, the 7089s look alot like black versions of my OEM limited 18 wheels.
Thanks again for your help.

~$60 total for install. That included mounting/balancing/etc.

Back