engine won't crank, 1 month after $500 "tune up" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine won't crank, 1 month after $500 "tune up"

ric1976

Reaction score
My '93 Ford Explorer that has given me very little trouble, has now started acting up.

Last month, went out to start it and it wouldn't turn over (sounded like it wanted to) after trying to jump start it, and purchasing a new battery, I had it towed to the mechanic and he said it needed a tune -up.

Spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, ETC and it started fine.

Last night after driving home from work, and stopping at Walmart, I came back out and it was doing the same thing. This morning I went back up the parking lot I left it in, and tried to start it and same thing, cranking but not turning over.

Any ideas? I don't want to junk it after putting $500 and new tires on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel pump maybe?

cranking but not turning over. ??????

Do you mean cranking but not starting ?
It does sound like a fuel pump...

Thanks for the quick replies!

yeah, it makes the starting noise, but then dies.

I just tried to change the fuel pump relay, hoping it would be a quick fix, but nope. I had it towed to a local shop, but since it is Memorial Weekend, no news till Tuesday. I have a 2000 Ford Excursion, driving that thing to work is going to kill my wallet this week!

Check voltage while trying to start the truck, if you see more than about 1.5 volts drop then you have a loss somewhere, corrosion, loose connection etc. You should see about 11.3 volts while cranking the engine with a good battery, the voltage should jump back up to around 12.4 or higher when you let off the key.

Check and clean all connections in the starting circut, at the battery and at the starter. Make sure that the cable connections and cable ends are clean and in good shape. Also make sure that the fender mounted relay is in good shape.

A quick test for the relay is to jump it with a screw driver, just be careful you will get sparks. Make sure the handle is good and you are not touching the vehicle. Turn the ignition to run without starting the engine, then jump the two terminals of the relay. If the engine cranks the same way, then the relay is good. If it starts fine and runs - relay bad.

Oh, I thought you meant that it would crank slowly or try to turn over. Nevermind, then.

Excursions are cool, is it diesel?

excursions are the ****. i drove the family's to college for a semester since nobody else drove it and loved it. i could easily fit 6-7 people and a semesters worth of crap. then.. my sister rolled it. gr.

but on to the ex. i had bad connections in the fuse box at that relay. i pinched the contacts with some needle nose and she fired right up. i hope its not a fuel pump. that would suck.

Great advice guys thanks! I wish I would have had a chance to try some of this stuff before I had it towed, but I was afraid to leave it on the parking lot and end up with an impound fee.

When this happened last time I cleaned all the battery connection and just recently had that tune up and had the wires replaced.

What puzzles me is the truck ran great after the tune up for a month seemed like the problem was fixed then back to square one. Obviously it could be a different problem displaying the same symtoms.

The Excursion is a v-10 not the diesel. I wanted the diesel but bought the v10 instead. Love it though.

How did your sister roll an excursion and is she ok?

Mine is having a hard time starting when warm. I think the fuel pump is going out, but it's due I guess. I think the check valve is shot, but sounds familiar- I have to crank mine about 7-10 seconds when it's warm to start up.

Funny thing about parts- they just go bad. It could have run perfectly and at the most inopportune time they give up the ghost.

I would love to drive an Excursion, but I think Expeditions are too big! My fatter ass would have a hard drop trying to get out though... :D

shes fine. she wrecked the safest vehicle on the road. :)
she was 16 at the time and was going way too fast on a day that her car couldnt make it to work in the snow. sigh.

the scursion was a beast. it was so fun to drive.

Back