B.S. a side... what are the best performance mods for my 03 v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

B.S. a side... what are the best performance mods for my 03 v8

joelc79

Reaction score
City, State
Kent, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited
Like it says... This is my work ride and i do a ton of driving in it. It is all stock with 115K on it. I am looking for some mpg s and maybe a little extra power. So is the cai 's and the tb spacers worth it? What about exhaust, i don't want to hear a drone or anything cause i drive to much. Is there a way to free it up a bit but remain quiet ish? Finally tunners: i know alot of you have the SCT. Besides .8 mpg gain will it aid me or assist in any positive results? Please no "change your tire size" or " lighten your load". :rolleyes:I'm not lookin to re arrange my style here guys so lets hear real experiences please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

repeat after me (the socalled bolt on king)... K&N Cold air intake.. Magnaflow cat back exhaust... Headers... Tune from henson performance. the truck will come alive on you and BOLT to 60 in just about 7 seconds with those mods. the headers and tune will be the most benefitial, but hte basis for any mods on anything is to let the intake and exhaust of OXY breath better... if you have the extra coin... a set of trick flow heads and a mild set of cams could net close to 80 rwhp as well... thats next on my list... the tune is more than just a bells and whistle thing, its a fantastic mod that makes the vehicle respond better, pull harder, and shift smoother...skip the TB spacer, thats a joke.

Do everything Zero said minus the Magnaflow, get a Flowmaster:D

I'd focus on the Exhaust(minus headers), CAI, tune from Henson, Efan and UDP's(in that order) If you have the coin and want to get crazy, then do headers, intake, throttle body/pleneum, TF heads/cam and possibly some form of forced induction.

I have Exhaust, tune from Henson and an Efan. LOVE IT!!!

Let us know what you do and how it works for you!

As Zero, and Limited posted... YES

*** INTAKE + EXHAUST + TUNE + U.D.P's + E-FAN + 70mm THROTTLE BODY...

w/out dipping into HEADERS + CAMS + F.I. etc... these will greatly improve the performance of your X, and it will still keep your X reliable...

so just a 70mm TB for a 96-04 mustang should work? that along with an intake plenum for the same year?

Rocket...

I wouldnt know, but I think Zero went with a Trick Flow plenum...

ask the B.O.K. lol

Jared this will never get old lol

lol im just looking for the most bang for my buck, ive got the exhaust, intake, and other minor things

lol B.O.K. hahaha.

OK so long as you have an 02 or an 03 v8 the 96 - 04 throttle bodys will hook right up, the 04's and 05's have electrontic throttle bodys and currently have no aftermarket substitutes, though with a custom port + polish and custom valve piece you can easily obtain a 70 or even 75. The intake plenums need to be modified to accept a break booster line, which is as easy as drilling a hole and attaching a fitting of sorts... me? i used a piece of metal brake line.

if i were you, id shoot for headers and a tune, those were my favorite mods. Followed closely by my GMS 60,000 volt coil backs, totaly brought my X alive, as my freind likes to say, it explodes all over chevy and dodge owners. my GMS coils died here a month or so ago and im going to be replacing them as soon as i have the extra 500 bucks to throw away, well one died, it was ontop of a spark plug that shot forth from the cylender head...

The one mod i wish i hadnt done... the professional products intake manifold.. for this wopping 500 bucks i saw NO Power gains and spent almost 8 hours grinding the thing for a propper fit to my engine.. i would avoide intake manifold work as much as possible... if your going to remove the stocker... better replace it with a Kenne bell twin screw or saleen supercharger... i wish i had. Im up in the air right now if im going to do heads and cams... or a supercharger... or a supercharger and heads and cams... or just a supercharger... who knows. its going to depend on how crazy im feeling once i have more money to spend.

I went with a GMS intake plenum, but if i had to do it again i would have gone for hte BBK 78mm TB and plenum one piece... its the best bang for the buck. for an un cam'd or FI'd engine, you wont see any additional power gains from the 75mm compaired to the 70mm... and the gas peddle sticks a little with the 75...

Back