updated or not? left side timing chain cassette | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

updated or not? left side timing chain cassette

jmoracco

Reaction score
City, State
amarillo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer4x4
Hey guys! once again i need some experienced help. I have my timing chain cover off and left side valve cover off, rattling seemed to be coming from primary chain, the left side cam cassette looks to be in good shape and it does have a somewhat rigid metal backing on it. Does this metal backing mean that it is the updated version? if not is there a way i can tell weather its been updated or not. I was already informed from ya all that if its not an updated cassette to replace it, but if it is possible that its already been replaced i'd sure hate to do it if I don't have to. the engine has about 130,000 miles on it so either its updated or its a ticking time bomb! thanks once again guys your info is much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The updated cassette has a metal backing plate on both arms. The old one only has a metal plate on the left arm.

Thanks! It seems the cassette is an updated one, but i wonder why the m012 campaign was never done, or the primary chain tensioner? did ford just replace what was absolutly necessary back then? Well either way I have already completed the m012 replacement and additon of scientific oil plug stick.lol.
Also my front cam tensioner looked like the rear cam tensioner, i wonder why it was not like the replacement or like all other original front cam tensioners ive seen on threads? Hmmm.

Front hydraulic tensioner

Are you saying that the new front hydraulic tensioner included in your 00M12 kit looked like your old rear one? If so, you need to contact your supplier and tell them they sent the wrong part. The correct part number for the front hydraulic tensioner is XU2Z6M252AA.

Ford replaced the front (left) cam chain, sprockets and guides (AKA cassette) under TSB 01M01 for 97 and 98 SOHC models.

Did you have this done in the past?

Hey guys, I actually meant that the left cam tensioner that was in the engine originally -looked like the same as the rear cam tensioner the replacement in the m012 kit looked like the correct tensioner for the left cam. And as to any warranty or non warranty repairs, i have no idea, i got the motor from a junkyard. Now i'm currently in the stage of updating primary chain tensioner and guide and the crank to balance shaft tensioner and guide. I found that the death rattle was coming from the balance shaft chain, luckily i found all pieces from the balance shaft tensioner, its amazing how all the plastic found it's way into the oil pick up tube! now im in process of removing upper oil pan and what pain in the butt. i'm going to try to just lift motor up as much as i can then mive pan enough for me to replace tensioner. Hpefully i dont have to drop my front axle down.

Did you consider removing the balance chain and going without?

I think you will have to drop the axle at the very least, and even them members has stated that the engine should come out to replace the upper oil pan properly.

What condition was your primary chain tensioner? Any pics would be nice.

Hey bluestream1, I can't find my usb cord to connect camera to computer for pics, but my primary chain andtensioner looked ok. im still going to update though. I currently have the axle dropped and im about to lift motor up just enough, i hope at least just enough to slide upper pan out im going to do this today. What is this you say about doing away with balance shaft chain? Please tell me you dont need this freakin thing. I'm one of those people who have no problem with doing away with something that is just not needed! If you could let me know what you meant that would be great thanks. im going to also look for my usb cord too.

Back