• Register Today It's free!

Front Wiper problem! any ideas?

timewarp1934

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 4 wd
I have a 2000 XLS with intermittent wipers. They will wipe on hi and low but not return to the "Rest" position. They don't work at all on intermittent. Can any body tell me where to start? Thanks!!! Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do they stutter at all when you're moving through the intermittent range on the MFS? If so, it's most likely your MFS. (The switch/lever)

Factory service manual symptom chart. Look for items that are listed for both symptoms.
Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
The Wipers Are Inoperative
Fuse(s).
Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.
Multi-function switch (13K359).
Wiper run/park relay.
Wiper HI/LO relay.
Wiper motor.

The Wipers Stay On Continuously
Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.
Multi-function switch.
Wiper run/park relay.
Wiper HI/LO relay.
Wiper motor.

The High/Low Wiper Speeds Do Not Operate Properly
Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.
Multi-function switch.
Wiper HI/LO relay.
Wiper motor.

The Intermittent Wiper Mode Does Not Operate Properly
Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.
Multi-function switch.
Wiper motor.

The Windshield Washer Pump Is Inoperative
Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.
Multi-function switch.
Washer pump relay.
Washer pump.

The Speed Dependent Interval Mode Does Not Operate Properly
Circuitry.
GEM.
4WABS control module.

The Wipers Do Not Operate Properly — High Speed Wipers Only Operate
Circuitry.
Multi-function switch.
Wiper HI/LO relay.
Wiper motor.
GEM/CTM.

The Wipers Stay On Continuously — Rear Wiper
Circuitry.
GEM.
Rear wiper/washer switch.

The Washer Pump Is Inoperative — Rear Washer Pump
Circuitry.
GEM.
Washer pump.

The Wipers Are Inoperative — Rear Wiper
Circuitry.
GEM.
Rear wiper down relay.
Rear wiper up relay.
Rear wiper motor.
Liftgate door ajar switch(es).
Liftgate wiper disable switch.

The Wipers Do Not Operate Properly — Rear Wiper
Circuitry.
GEM.

No Communication With the Module — GENERIC ELECTRONIC MODULE/CENTRAL TIMER MODULE
Fuse(s).
Circuitry.
GEM/CTM.

While I was waiting for a reply, I turned the wipers on hi and started unplugging the relays in the fuse box until I found the ones that controled the wipers. I swapped a few around and now they are working as they should. I'll keep checking to see if they last. When we bought the car, the rear wiper did not work. I went to replace it and found that it had just been replaced. It won't come on unless you push the wiper blade down about a half inch. What's up with the wipers on this car?????????

When we bought the car, the rear wiper did not work. I went to replace it and found that it had just been replaced. It won't come on unless you push the wiper blade down about a half inch. What's up with the wipers on this car?????????

Try adjusting it:
Removal

Disconnect the rear washer hose.
Remove rear pivot arm.
Lift the pivot arm nut cover.
Remove the nut.
Remove the pivot arm.

Installation

Turn the rear wiper switch on and allow the motor to operate for at least one cycle.
NOTE: This step ensures that the wiper motor is in the park position.

Turn the rear wiper switch OFF.
Position the wiper blade outside the wiper arm stop so the projection on the arm bracket presses
down on the arm park bracket stop.
Install the wiper pivot arm onto the wiper motor.
Tighten retaining nut. (113-145 lb/in)
Connect the washer hose
Cycle the wiper motor one time to allow the wiper arm to park on the wiper arm stop

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!! I'll try everything this weekend

I find it strange that swapping a relay "fixed" your issues being that the motor is responsible for finding the resting position.

I find it strange that swapping a relay "fixed" your issues being that the motor is responsible for finding the resting position.

Position is sensed by motor assembly, but which position to use is controlled by the park/run relay, I think.

Correct- the wiper motor would not know whether to park the wiper at the end of sweep at the "waiting to rewipe" position or the "park me I'm done" position unless the relay tells it what to do, otherwise it would never park, or always return to the clip on every swipe...

Thank you! I just saved lots of money and time. My wipers started working like described in post 1 a while back. Recently they stopped working all together. Someone I know said it's probably the switch so I was going to buy one and get it put in. I read this and went out and swapped the relays. Works 100% normal now. I'm so happy! EDIT: I spoke too soon Now my washer pump doesn't work. I put that reley in to fix the wipers now when I put the new relay in no washer pump. I even put back the original relay to make sure the new one wasn't defective and nothing! Please help. EDIT: I fixed it...........bad contact.

Go figure!! I just checked mine and they are still working fine. I do need to fix the rear one now. I think the guy at the factory put the wiper "Stop" to high on the rear door. I can't adjust the blade any higher or it will be on the glass. If I lower the "Stop" bumper, I think the wiper arm will go down enough to make contact with the switch in the motor.

Back