98 Mark VIII LSC KB 2.2 Supercharger Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mark VIII LSC KB 2.2 Supercharger Install

SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
Here's LazerSVT's 1998 Mark VIII LSC, I've already did 3.73 gears and a few other goodies to it, but this weekend he drove down from Dallas to the some much needed boost from a screwbox install.

So while I twirl some wrenches I'll let my co-hearts in crime post some progression pictures of the install.

Dr. SVO phd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before:

Picture14.jpg

Picture_0391.jpg

Picture_040.jpg

Picture_0411.jpg

Picture_0421.jpg

Picture_0431.jpg

IMGP1392.jpg

IMGP1394.jpg

IMGP1396.jpg

IMGP1399.jpg

IMGP1401.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

IMGP1405.jpg

IMGP1409.jpg

IMGP1410.jpg

IMGP1414.jpg

IMGP1416.jpg

IMGP1419.jpg

Well after a very interesting day, Saturday, we'll see how far we can get today.

The big hang up yesterday was the lack of intake/IMRC gaskets which is nothing more than a large o-ring.

The only set for 500 miles was in Houston, the packed the LSC back in the garage and headed out on a 300 mile round trip to grab them and come back.

Once the intake was mounted that where things got a little more off and a trip into town was needed to grab a few more parts and odds and ends, as I see another one of those trips today happeneing also.

The thing here is, this kit is supposed to go on a 1996 - 98 Cobra, not a Mark VIII.

So as far a I know only two people have done this, so we'll be number three to try this.

Stay tuned as more mayhem will possible insue.

But first................. a pot of coffee.

Dr. SVO phd

Wow thats quite impressive. A few years ago I came acorss a web page where a guy had a blue car like the one your working on and did the same motor swap and he also went with a blower but it wasen't that one. Is the car an auto or 6 speed now ?

This car is still an automatic, no 6spd conversion in it's future.

This actually is not an engine swap, it a Superchatger install/conversion, motor will not be removed from the vehicle.

Well, off to the dungeon too see if I can get this all buttoned up today.

Dr. SVO phd

Still in the middle of the install. I decided removing the hood and cowl was the way to go so that is what we did. Made things much easier to drop the blower in place.
IMGP1420.jpg

You can see a huge difference in the space available wih he cowl off. Also showing where the IMRC box is since I see i asked so often. We removed it since I now have deletes.
IMGP1426.jpg

IMGP1438.jpg

So next we took the blower back off and then gooped up the plenum.
IMGP1427.jpg

Of course that led to the next problem.
IMGP1429.jpg

I managed to re adjust the fuel rail and get it in there.
IMGP1431.jpg

So this is where we took a break to make the 6th parts store run and locate some fittings as well as a 120" belt.
IMGP1439.jpg

OH HELL NO!! that is splotches of gasket maker, note bottle in my right hand.

Jeff - :navajo:

What a day! I has absolutely worked my pointy hat off! Lots of snags along the way but all dealt with very well. Worked very hard to make it look OEM and hide or remove all that wasn't needed.

So after deciding that the air injection pipes had to go I went in there with a sawsall, torch and finally a welder!

Cleaned up the crossover tube and put in new o-rings.
IMGP1445.jpg

Go it all together and did some other minor touches to really give it an OEM appearance.
IMGP1450.jpg

And here I am admiring my handy work. :D
IMGP1449.jpg

This is where we called it quits. Still have to trim the hood some and do some wires but its pretty much done. Did a through fuel leak test and was perfect on the first try.
IMGP1452.jpg

Bad-ass! I've always been a fan of the Mark VIII. I like the logo on top of the SC.

This reminds me of changing the head gaskets on my old Expedition...
IMGP1396.jpg

Final numbers after tuning are 384rwhp and 398tq

Jeff - :navajo:

Not sure if this is monitored anymore, but i am considering doing this to my 98 Mark. What did you do for the tune? What are the air tubes you needed to modify?

Back