97 Explorer Sport engine swap with 99 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer Sport engine swap with 99 Explorer

gcp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4x4
Does any one know if I can take an engine out of a 99 Explorer and install it into a 97 Explorer Sport with no modifications? Both engines are 4.0 with fuel injection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should as long as the wiring coming out of the firewall is the same. i just swapped from a 95 to 95. i would change gaskets and seals while you have it out.

you will also have to reuse your upper and lower intake. i would also reuse your injectors, as well as anything electronic.

I just swapped out my 98 with a 99 motor and i had to use my original wiring harness and injectors/rails. But really not as bad of a swap as it looks, just be gentle with the injectors when you remove them, they have this hard rubber sleeve that goes in the head for the injector and some might not come out of the head without destroying them, But you do have extras on your old motor.
NOTE!!! MAKE sure to inspect timing componets before installing motor, I made this mistake and i had a hell of a time replacing my balance shaft chain tensioner in the vehicle...

I have the same situation, have you completed the swap, and how did it go?

Back