Building Longarms for SAS with Dana 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building Longarms for SAS with Dana 44

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
In my main build thread I have a few details about my longarm build but for those of you searching just for some examples on Longarms and building your own here is some useful info

Vehicle specs: 89 Bronco 2 Frame, with 76 F150 Dana 44 front axle with wedges moved in on the axle instead of spacing out coil bucket towers on the frame.

My longarms are completey new, not cutting up stockers and extending them, but the problem is 2 of the parts im using may or may not be available? from james Duff, I bought front wedge section they use on there radius arms. I also bought there weld in adapters which using 1.25 Heim joint. Trying to stay simialr to strength of a duff arm they use 2 in DOM 3/8 wall, now the insert was a little bigger than the 1.25 hole in the tube, so i did have the tube machined out just a tad. Will show pics soon

Parts list:
2 Front duff head units -Backside of the wedge holder
2 sticks of 2 in DOM tubing, 3/8 thick
4 12in long 7in wide , 1/4 plates
2 heims joints 1.25 shank, 1.0 Hole
2 weld in inserts for tubing -did have to have tubing machine a little bigger
1/4 angle will update size later
1/4 flat plate to weld with angle
2 & 1/2 wide 1/4 flat plate for boxing it all in.

Note my longarms will be straight with no bend in to help with steering radius, this would be an issue with a narrow d44 swap and could limit steering radius.

My complete build:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279213

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

012-2.jpg

006-4.jpg

009-5.jpg

your arms are thicker then mine almost, and i thought .370 wall was thick (or is that the same? lol) just curious, why heims and not johnny or ballistic joints.

looks good guy! they look like a straight version of the cage arms i have.

if ya dont mind me asking, what did you give for the head units from duff, and how did you talk them into selling them to ya? i have tried to get a set for my cage ra's and they wouldnt sell me any. maybe because i said "cage" when i talked to them!?! i have a set of the weld on d60 head units but i have a d44!

Brad looks great did you make templates so you can pass them on to me so I can make a set???????????

, Sorry no templets
Built very simialar to duff or cage arms, without the bend, which I didnt need the bend for my setup.
They sold to me cause I have bought tons of stuff from them over the years and I sweet talked them LOL, they werent to cheap thoe, 99 each + i think around 20 bushing kit for both, so i did save some money, but if u have narrow setup , might as well buy the duff or cage arms.

Yeah, since the Cage arms are just rip offs of the Duff arms by an ex Duff employee, you prolly won't sweet talk anything out of them by mentioning the name "Cage".

Duff has the molds for the head units and are the only company that has anything that remotely resembles a factory piece. Everyone else uses flat bar or angle iron to try to get close to what Duff has with an actual cast piece. Those head units aren't cheap for them to get either so for them to sell them to ya for $99 is pretty good.

The reason you had to had your tube machined is because theirs is actually .313 wall, not a true 3/8" wall. It takes a 20 ton press to put that bend in the Duff tube and it shakes the whole building when it strokes.

Back