• Register Today It's free!

abs light - hub

zpaperboyz

Reaction score
City, State
Prince Rupert, BC,
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer 4x4
This is getting crazy, I replaced my driver front hub at about 95,000km then had a faulty hub the abs light immediately came on and the 4x4 light would come on and engage the 4x4. They replaced the hub assembly immediately, 22,000Km the abs light comes on again same issues, Napa replaces the hub even though its 2,000 km over the warranty but only 8 months. Now a month and a a half later the ABS light comes on again same issues. That makes the hub I'll replace it #5.
5 front left hubs in a 2004 explorer.

So here's my question - What else could be tripping this abs sensor and making the 4x4 kick in. the repair shops computer says its the front left abs sensor every time and the dealer says it all part of the one piece hub assembly.

I'm looking for ANY suggestions I'm going crazy. Holidays start Thursday next week and I doubt I'll have a working vehicle. Everything up here is remote and takes forever for parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no suggestions eh?

Have you tried using a Ford hub? Is the same place installing all the hubs?

Maybe there is an issue with the installation or part quality?

Try a stock Ford bearing or buy a Timken bearing.

From most likely to least likely

Inferior quality of part replaced with same inferior quality part.

Damage due to incorrect installation, and repeated by same person or shop each time.

Other damage on vehicle, such as broken/missing air front bodywork, fender liner, brake splash shield or ______ that is allowing/directing water to wash lubrication from bearing.

It has been the same shop and I'm going to guess same bearing as NAPA is their part supplier. But the bearing itself isn't going just the abs sensor that is part of the hub. I guess I'll try another supplier of the hubs on this 5th install and see what happens.

I've always thought Napa had good parts though.

The ABS sensor is not part of the hub. It mounts to the hub. The ABS error light (those codes that point to bad front ABS sensors) is a common symptom of a failing/failed hub/bearing assembly. When a hub fails, the ABS sensor does not need to be replaced, just removed and reinstalled on the new hub.

I thought that a $237.00 part would be good?

for the 1st few presses of the brake pedal in the cool morning, the anti lock is kicking in, after truck warms up brakes are ok, also the abs light comes on after the abs starts acting up, when truck is off and restarted the light is off. is there any tell tail signs to look for, I will check for play in the wheel bearing tomorrow,

for the 1st few presses of the brake pedal in the cool morning, the anti lock is kicking in, after truck warms up brakes are ok, also the abs light comes on after the abs starts acting up, when truck is off and restarted the light is off. is there any tell tail signs to look for, I will check for play in the wheel bearing tomorrow,

you may not feel play in the bearing but it could still be bad. Is the bearing loud? when the ABS light is on what code is present. This will lead you in the right direction.

the abs light went out today, will the code still show up or does the abs light need to be on?

What came of all of this? sounds familiar for me lol

Back