Where did you run your power wire? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where did you run your power wire?

blaze_tylr

Reaction score
City, State
Lousiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
Truck: 99 two door sport

Where dose everyone have there power wires going threw the firewall? I poked around there today for a few and didn't see anywhere to get my single run of 4awg threw. Pics would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

passenger side under the floor mat near the top, there's a huge grommet, that's where i ran mine through

Same....

Passenger side grommet. I think that thing is actually supposed to be used for a drain plug or something. I don't really know. But, it works great. Just be careful running it down by the motor. Give enough clearance so the wire doesn't melt.

i ran mine through a fairly large grommet on the drivers side, under the brake pedal, maybe slightly to the left. looks like the hood release cable runs through it too.

Drivers side as well...

On the firewall, to the left and below the hole where the brake rod goes through is a grommet that I could see light through thanks to the many empty holes in that grommet...

I run my amp leads, fog light wiring, aux lights, and emergency lights power leads through this grommet...

I also have a power distribution strip in the firewall to run non-switched power to my accesories directly from the mega fuse at the power distribution box...I was runing the power lead from the battery but I needed to fuse the power lead...

The only one I spotted on the driver side was for the stearing shaft. I have my RCA's on the pass side and also would rather not run that wire across my bay. anyone have any pics ? ? ?
97-03 Gen 2

FYI....

I have my Subwoofer RCA and my primary Power wire on the same side. For a subwoofer, if you have any kind of decent shielded RCA cables, you shouldn't need to worry about engine whine.
I would not recommend doing this if the RCA is going to be hooked up to speakers that are going to powering mids and highs though.

I ran mine over the top-back of the engine then through the passenger fender and in the door, then under the carpet to the back.
If probably wasn't the best way, but i haven't had any problems with it

seems the pass side is going to be my best bet then , will look into it in the morning

firewall.JPG

went out and took a pic

That's the same one I used- My now removed remote start was run through there, so I used the same one...

I had to run mine under the truck due to it being a 4 gauge wire :p

Ran under the truck inside the frame and up into the truck just behind the back seat in the rubber seal.

27963_126548757366385_100000337855226_211725_1182830_n.jpg

Why couldn't a 4 gauge go through the interior grommet? Is that a good idea having a wire like that running inder the truck? Not prodding, I just don't know if that's ok or not...

mrpeaches looks to have the same wire...

i always heard it was a no-no. i only ever did it once on an f150 and that was because it was a lease and i couldn't drill.

Its inside conduit and under the truck in the most protective spot I could find.

It COULD have run through there but then I would have had to pull carpet and such to run it to the back and this was quicker.

As long as the wire under the truck is protected I have never had it hurt anything.

running it underneath is fine. I would've put loom around it or something tho. A lot of the dudes i compete with run there's underneath, cuz it's hard to run 4-5 runs of 1/0 ga thru the dash haha

I fit a run of 4-ga through the grommet and into the door sill channel just fine. And half way there is 12-ga speaker wire running to the passenger door. Then on the other side is: 2 remote leads, 3 runs of speaker wire, and 3 sets of RCA's. Those channels are big enough to easily fit pretty much anything in them.

I drilled a hole beside the drivers side grommet some of you are using & added a grommet. I will be changing to 0 ga wire when I get a sub amp. I have my amp in the drivers side jump seat area. I ran my RCAs on the passenger side. I had no problem hiding the wire & I have rubber floor mats.

Back