• Register Today It's free!

Broken Muffler

slim

Reaction score
City, State
monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
Hello, my 2006 V8 mountaineer has a broken muffler that rattles. The muffler shop said the whole exhaust would have to be replaced as it is one piece. However, I would like to cut the muffler out and piece in a pipe or put on some other type of muffler.

I am wondering how loud it would be if I eliminated the muffler leaving only the resonator?

Also, I know people modify the exhaust all the time. What type of muffler would make a good substitute? Or, what is the best way solve the issue?

Thanks
slim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure about the V8 but I had the muffler cut out on my SOHC leaving only the resonator. With all the cats in place and the resonator the truck was surprisingly quiet. Once I removed the resonator things started to get a little louder.

There is not problem cutting out your existing muffler and replacing it with something with better flow. You may even pickup a few MPG's that is if you can resist stomping it to hear that sweet music produced by your tailpipe :D

What part of the muffler is rattling? it's kinda new to have issues already. I thought the newer models had mostly stainless exhausts? if it is just a heat sheild you could just pay a welder a few bucks to tack it back on there.

Whatever is rattleing is inside the muffler, it does not appear to be a heat sheild or anything on the exterior.

Thank you for the information.

slim.

I cut out the stock muffler and resonator and replaced it with a flowmaster 50 series SUV. I highly recommend it. great sound. muffler + some stainless tube + install labor for about $170.

I would find a new muffler shop. ^ What bender said, only go with Magnaflow :)

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the input.

I have solved the issue by going to a muffler shop and had them cut the muffler off and then replace it with a piece of pipe, we kept the resonator to quiet it down some.

They only charged me $60.00 dollars and it sounds great.

Thanks again

slim

Attachments

• muffler.JPG
    muffler.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 686

Feel free to correct me. We cut of what I believe to be the muffler. What you see in the picture i believe is the resistor.

Either way, whatever we cut of was the source of the rattle. I do have a picture of the component we removed if anyone is interested.

Have a great day
slim

Pictures are allways good. Please show us!

Back