2003 Explorer - Window Regulator. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer - Window Regulator.

tool0loot

Reaction score
A couple of months ago, the front passenger window in my 2003 Ford Explorer stopped working. I bought a new window regulator and motor from Pep Boys (a Dorman). After installing the new one, I tested it out in the driveway, and the window went up and down. Half an hour later when I got in my car to go somewhere, it wouldn’t do anything from the driver side. I reached over and from the passenger side, the window went up, but that was it. Nothing after that. Monroe Muffler told me the new motor already went bad.

So... Pep Boys replaced the regulator with a second one. I installed it, only for the window to go up, then not doing anything since. Can someone point me in the right direction? I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, if it’s the motor, or switch... I’ve already spent $90+ for the part, and another $105 for Monroe Muffler’s diagnostics. I was hoping someone might have a suggestion and GREATLY appreciate your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if this will help any, but I had a similar problem. However, it had nothing to do with the motor. It was actually the switch. I drive a 2002 Explorer Sport. When you start tearing down the switch you will get to a point where there is a plastic part that makes contact with the metal rocker. This is what controls the upward and downward movements. For me this plastic piece was rubbed down so that it would not work. What I finally did after many failed repair attempts is simply buy a scrap switch from e-bay. I read that it was about $160 at the Ford House, so I decided to go with the slightly used $40 version. Like I said this may help it may not.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking along the same lines. You could be right and I really appreciate your help. I'll keep this in mind after I run a test on the motor.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Test the regulator motor directly with a car battery or a booster pack to see if it's the switch, wiring or regulator.

I looked this up a while back for an '02 but I'd say the '03 is the same. This is the switch diagram and the connector pinouts for the switch. If the motor works in one direction it will work in the other since you're just reversing the polarity to go up or down. Check the switch.
2002ExXLSWindowMasterSwitch.gif

C504b.gif

C504a.gif

Back