Section525 - SAS D44 - Page 2 (Finishing... maybe) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - SAS D44 - Page 2 (Finishing... maybe)

The other thread was a little too long and a little too old. :( So this is where you can keep up and give great input and advice so we can all get this project out on the trail as soon as humanly possible. :)

So today I had some time and motivation to get out into the shop. Here is what was accomplished.

001.jpg

Bend up some new taller hoops. These will give me more room to grow. They'll also allow my new bling Ballistic Fab shock tabs to angle down giving tons of clearance to the shocks. I also have some BF lower shock mounts which weld to the c's. They're an inch or so higher than my current mounts.

002.jpg

The Pro-Tools notcher. Super bad. Now I keep my retarded cut-off wheel notches out of the build. :confused:

003.jpg

Way better notch than I could ever do.

004.jpg

Pretty high. Looks like I'll have to have a yard sale to get rid of the items that used to be there.

005.jpg

Hugh hoops! It'll all make sense when you see the other side. I'm clearing my FJ60 steering box over there.

006.jpg

Tabs and shock in. Lookin' good.

007.jpg

Both sides. It's as done as it's ever been! :p:

008.jpg

And this is where I left off. I cut the engine brace shorter than I wanted to. I'm a total newb at this bending stuff. So I'll have to wait until Monday at the earliest to pick up some more 1.5".

But I do have about 30' of 1.75" laying around. We'll see what the motivation level is like tomorrow. Maybe I'll start some bumpers! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are some impressive leaf packs. 2 main leafs? I haven't seen the 2nd main shaped like that before. I like it a lot.

My rear mains are starting to invert in the rear, and I have to break down and get a new set. Depending on price, these look like the answer to my ongoing battle with leaf packs.

I picked these up for +/- $100 plus $25 for the new bushings.

They're a very common spring, but I can't recall anyone running them in the rear yet. So you could be a pioneer. :D

I picked these up for +/- $100 plus $25 for the new bushings.

They're a very common spring, but I can't recall anyone running them in the rear yet. So you could be a pioneer. :D

They look BEEF, and that 2nd main is what has me very interested in them. Did you take a measurement of the Arch height on them loose/compressed?

Next up is doing some finish welding, painting, pretty-ing up. Also going to get a gen 1 driveshaft to lengthen and replace the square tube.

ehm...idk about that. im going from a lengthened expo shaft to a square one because there wasnt enough slip on the shaft....kept popping out on climbs and i couldnt place it in the female end more because it would bottom out if i did that..

ehm...idk about that. im going from a lengthened expo shaft to a square one because there wasnt enough slip on the shaft....kept popping out on climbs and i couldnt place it in the female end more because it would bottom out if i did that..

He has an explorer not a ranger. I'm pretty sure the shaft lengths are going to be different.

He has an explorer not a ranger. I'm pretty sure the shaft lengths are going to be different.

that doesnt matter.
im talking about the LENGTH OF THE SLIP. its only like 3 inches long and because we have leaf setups, the shackle allows the axle to move farther than the ttb setup it was designed for...which is why im saying its inadequate.

Good point. I got it in my head to use the gen 1 shaft because thats what stic-o is doing. But he's on coils.

My square tube shaft would be fine but for some reason it clunks now. Anytime the hubs are locked all you hear is 'clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk'. But it was quiet for the first three years. Maybe its time to spend some coin on a real driveshaft? :(

Good point. I got it in my head to use the gen 1 shaft because thats what stic-o is doing. But he's on coils.

My square tube shaft would be fine but for some reason it clunks now. Anytime the hubs are locked all you hear is 'clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk'. But it was quiet for the first three years. Maybe its time to spend some coin on a real driveshaft? :(

Oh sure...blame me!:p:

Go pull a shaft off a leaf sprung 4x4 then...Maybe a waggy or F250 then just cut to size, as long as the slip is enough.

Oh sure...blame me!:p:

Go pull a shaft off a leaf sprung 4x4 then...Maybe a waggy or F250 then just cut to size, as long as the slip is enough.

or maybe just make a new square one? sure its not ur ujoints or something?
i see no reason to not use a square shaft just cuz its so cheap and it works. maybe a leaf sprung shaft would work but that im unsure of...just finished up my square shaft today and im happy with how it turned out. if its noisy...eh idc, as long as my welds hold ill be a happy camper. Im considering using a shock boot too to keep the grease "clean" and i think that might help with the noise issue a tad.

i have the money for a "real" front shaft but.....eh, ill save it towards other parts :D

How 'bout measure the difference in driveshaft length between A] the front of the chassis jacked up (both tires off of the ground) and B] with the driver's side stuffed.

No, pull the shaft apart, clean off the grease, and lay a weld bead down them.

You will probably have to grind them a little, but then you can stop the clunking. What's happened is you've worn down the seam on the inside of the outer box..

ok wow been offline for a while and im out of the loop... gotta few questions here for section... #1 are your new leaf springs chevy front springs? b/c they look just like the 4 inch k5 rancho springs im gunna try and use.( i like the mil wrap of the 2nd leaf...) #2 cant seem to find a good pic but are your shackles angled outward???.. #3 is there any way you could show me in detail what box you used and how its setup??

ok wow been offline for a while and im out of the loop... gotta few questions here for section... #1 are your new leaf springs chevy front springs? b/c they look just like the 4 inch k5 rancho springs im gunna try and use.( i like the mil wrap of the 2nd leaf...) #2 cant seem to find a good pic but are your shackles angled outward???.. #3 is there any way you could show me in detail what box you used and how its setup??

The 44044's are lift springs for the Jeep Wagoneer.

Shackles angled outward? They shouldn't be. They're shaped like this: / \
Maybe that's throwing the pics off.

I used a Toyota FJ60 box. You can see it hiding here:
springs05.jpg

It has half an Explorer steering shaft and half Aerostar.

Old thread I know but how are the Rancho leafs holding up after a couple years? I'm looking at getting a set this week for my build.

Back