Headlights turn on w/ key and stay on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlights turn on w/ key and stay on

ExplorerDriver26

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 NBX
I installed some HID lights about 2 years ago. They have always worked fine. The Explorer came with a remote starter (ultra) when I bought it 3 years ago.

Today, I started it with the remote starter and the parking lights and headlights came on. Normally only the parking lights come on. (No, the auto switch was not on) When I put the key in the ignition and tapped the brake, usually the lights go out and I hear a little clicking over. Today, there was no click and the lights stayed on. Turning the light switch to auto, off, parking lights nor headlights does anything. I can turn the fog lights on and off though.

If i turn off my Explorer, the lights stay on for about 30 seconds, then I hear the click and the lights go out. The doors are all closed and opening one should turn them off but it doesn't.

If I start with the key and no remote starter, the same thing happens. Lights go on and won't turn off.

When I get the lights to finally go off, the switch works light usual. Off, parking and headlights.

I have no idea what would do this. I haven't done anything to my Explorer in over 6 months other than have a dealer do an oil change two months ago, so I didn't mess anything up.

Please, any help....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be the relay going bad.. that little click you hear is the relay, one of the ways relays fail is they stick.. next time the lights are stuck on, try tapping on the relay and see if they go off.. if so, then for sure it's the relay

I'll try that later today. The weirdest thing isn't that they stay on, it is a pain, but it's that the lights go on when I turn the key. They never used to...

No idea what the issue was. The lights were messed up for two days and all of a sudden the third day they were working fine. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

No idea what the issue was. The lights were messed up for two days and all of a sudden the third day they were working fine. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I noticed when I washed my motor I got a little water on the relay. I blew it out and sure enough there was water in it. lights turned off after that. maybe thats why they went off after a few days. the water dried. IDK just putting my 2 cents in!

Back