How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

Any idea how to break the hub loose from the steering knuckle? Mine is in there good and I can't seem to break it loose.

Use the axle to pry it loose, I think it will go in from the outside. Don't forget to spray the hub seam with a penetrant first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the axle to pry it loose, I think it will go in from the outside. Don't forget to spray the hub seam with a penetrant first.

Use the axle?? That would mean taking the CV joint apart and I am not interested in screwing with that if I don't have to.

Unless I misunderstood what you were getting at.

I may just remove the entire steering knuckle and hit it from behind. The consensus of people I have talked to is that penetrating oil and a BFH are the only way to get it loose...

keep the bolts mostly threaded; not fully threaded, but not very loose.
might have enough room to hit atleast 2 of the bolts with a hammer.

Otherwise, still only slightly loosen the bolts, reinstall tire with 3 lug nuts, and use the tire as leverage (either in the air, or even place it back on the ground for some additional weight to help break it lose).

Great thread. Took a gamble on my left front hub tonight since I couldn't definitively pin the location of the throbbing sound which was really getting loud yet not changing perceptibly when I cornered. First, after all the fears of how hard it would be to get everything apart, especially on a 201k Ex that may never had had those parts off (recently bought it), everything came off easily. I didn't have to beat on anything with rubber mallets, all 15mm bolts loosened easily with an 18" breaker bar, and I was happy as can be. I used a $130 NAPA hub and new axle nut (#630-1642). The ABS cable came with new clips on it that were in just the right positions to match the old.

I just hope I didn't over-torque the three retaining bolts and caliper bolts. If there was a torque spec buried in this thread I missed it, and I'd guess I had well over 100ft-lb on the three as I muscled it pretty good with the breaker bar, and a bit more on the calipers, though I understand the calipers need it.

I also got carried away finishing up and totally forgot to use my torque wrench on the axle nut. I'm not sure it even goes that high. I used my breaker bar, stepping on it with my 200lb weight centered roughly 15-16" down the bar, so I guess that would about do it. I did buy an extra axle nut in case I guessed wrong on the bad side, so could remove and replace more properly.

And for the road test, yes, the horrible throbbing is gone - good riddance! Thanks again! :)

Anyone have a prpblem pulling the old assembly out? My06 equinox was a bear to get out. I had to beat the crap out of it!

Thank you! I couldn't get my 32mm socket on the axel far enough to get the bolt off but now I see I need a 3" deep socket. Someone else mentioned using a "puller" on the axel to get their bolt off? I dont even know what a puller is. I'm going to try and finsih this tomorrow. Got the new bearing assembly today. Everything so far going smoothly aside from the bolts on the wheel bearing assembly not coming off easilly. Had to use a breaker bar and LOTS of torque. I've been hearing grinding from this wheel bearing for about a month now and it has been getting worse. Had the passenger side replaced 6 months ago. Yesterday, pulling into my driveway, all of a sudden the grinding turned into a terrible loud gnashing metal grinding noise. I'm now worried that something else might have gone bad. when I spin the roter with the vehicle jacked, I hear a grinding noise coming from where the drive shaft attaches to the "front drive shaft", in the linkage. I'm not a repair expert but know enough to do simple things. The drive shaft attaches to a smaller driver shaft via some linkage near the front tire area and that goes into the box thingy (transfer case?), I forget what it's called. Would this make a terrible grinding sound if this went bad? It seems to be coming from that linkage area. Should that linkage be semi loose? I can wobble it a little bit by hand.

Hi!

I used this post to change the hub on my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. I would like to thank you for the detailed information and pictures added.

What i want to add for those who are going to do the same is that you have to use 3'' deep 1'' 1/4 socket. I tried with 1'' 1/2 inches deep socket but it was too short to do the job.

All the other tools are exactly what you need to have the job done. It took me no more than 2 hours.

Thanks again!

Sipesk

Awesome thread! I just replaced both front hubs tonight on my 99 XLT. Turned out to be pretty simple. Took about 2 hrs start to finish..and that was moving at a leisurely pace :chug: I wish ball joints were that easy..:(

question regarding hub replacement

Before you changed your hub out was it making a rubbi squeaky noise the reason i ask is I replaced the upper and lower control arms sway bar links and shocks before I did this the truck wasn't making that noise from the driver side now that I changed all those parts its making that noise any help would be greatly appreciated

Looking for help with my `04 Exlporer XLT. This thread has been helpful and I am down to getting the old wheel hub assembly off the steering knuckle. I have shattered two 15mm sockets already trying to loosen the bolts from the back side of the knuckle. Any advice on the right tools for getting these off?

Looking for help with my `04 Exlporer XLT. This thread has been helpful and I am down to getting the old wheel hub assembly off the steering knuckle. I have shattered two 15mm sockets already trying to loosen the bolts from the back side of the knuckle. Any advice on the right tools for getting these off?

On my 02 I was able to back the stuck bolts out far enough to get a gap large enough to fit a sawsall blade in there. Then just cut the bolt.

Did anyone use the Ebay hubs? they have 2 for $77

Did anyone use the Ebay hubs? they have 2 for $77

do not be cheap w/hubs for these trucks!!! you will be replacing them over and over again.

i repeat....... do not be cheap w/hubs for these trucks!!! unless you plan to get rid of the truck soon:salute:

Yes, I have two on my truck that are so far 2-3yrs old with approx 50k miles on and they're still doing good.
Do you remember who you bought them from?

Yes, I have two on my truck that are so far 2-3yrs old with approx 50k miles on and they're still doing good.

you have way better luck than me then. mine lasted a total of 8-9 months before i had to replace them. went with Timken hubs, got about 3yrs on them so far.

I can't remember, I'm looking now to see if I can get my history of that long ago. But a Site vendor here 1A auto also sells hub bearings very low priced also http://www.1aauto.com/1A/wheel-bearing-hub-front/Ford/Explorer/-/-/2000

EDIT: Here is the store I bought from http://stores.ebay.com/Tennessee-Au...lorer+hub+bearing&submit=Search&_sid=92570121
Thanks for the info :thumbsup: My company blocks EBay so I will need to view it at home.
Did anyone use the1A auto hub? Do we get discount with them since they are site vendor? They have good price and 2 year warranty.

One more thanks for the write-up. Did my right side today. Less than an hour start to finish. The comment on the offset 15mm wrench was right on. That and a rubber hammer knocked the hub bolts loose with no trouble. Barely even got my hands dirty. The beautiful sound of a silent front end once again.

EDIT: One note. I just unbolted the old ABS sensor from the hub and re-used it. Didn't seem to be any reason to go through the hassle of unhooking it and installing a new one.

ok so last night when i got off work i back out and there was almost a popping noise from the front of my 03 explorer and now it sounds like i am driving on gravle and there is a grinding noise when i turn right the sound gets louder the slower i go.

any sugestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great write up!
just did this..went really smoothly..thanks so much

Back