• Register Today It's free!

Missing fire i think

mesa 33

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater,Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
Have a 98 explorer with the ohv, in the winter it started to stumble or say so like missing maybe but after it would warm up it would be just fine. Then a couple days ago it started again but would fix itself, but now its constant and would repair itself lol. I changed the spark plugs tonight and still nothing but it does idle better. Not sure what to check next, theres no check engine light. thanks in advance for the help

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a 98 explorer with the ohv, in the winter it started to stumble or say so like missing maybe but after it would warm up it would be just fine. Then a couple days ago it started again but would fix itself, but now its constant and would repair itself lol. I changed the spark plugs tonight and still nothing but it does idle better. Not sure what to check next, theres no check engine light. thanks in advance for the help

nick

there are a few things that come to my mind right now.

-clean the MAF sensor w/MAF cleaner
-test the resistance of the coil pack to determine if its bad.
-check the plug wires for any cracks, when were they changed last by the way?
-when is the last time the fuel filter was changed?
-check for vacuum leaks as well.

Alrite thanks.

I changed the spark plugs becuase some were cracked and missing rubber around them, cleaned the MAF sensor and put in a new fuel filter. Once i started it the check engine light came on and is overheating. Code that came up was PO102 which says

intake air leak-duct tube loose or damaged
open or short circuit condition
poor electrical connection
TP signal error
Faulty MAF/VAF sensor

i dont know what a TP was and searched TP but nothing came up. I know there a black tube thats connected to the side of the black intake hose thing but its been like that for awhile and wouldnt think that would do much. It still stumbles i guesse you could call it and you cant floor it, but in neutural you can rev it.

ttt

ok so i just now got a new MAF sensor got home diconnected negitive and installed new one reconnected negitive and still the same problem no fix yet. what to do now? maybe try VAF sensor?

Back