A/C problem (noise when clutch is engaged) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C problem (noise when clutch is engaged)

mehedgec

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
When I turn on my A/C, the clutch grabs, and it makes this awful, almost grinding noise. I don't know how to reall describe it. But the clutch engages, and it spins. Not sure if its spinning as fast as it should though. The air still turns somewhat cold.

It happened originally last november, and then just quit. Not sure exactly what that was about. It just decided to do it again yesterday while driving home. It was a very hot day also... It quit putting out cold air and seemed like it was bogging down my engine a little bit.

Anyone got any recommendations on what to look for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: I engaged the clutch a couple of times, now the compressor is not turning at all, and it stalled the engine. So the compressor is definitely seized now. It wasn't completely seized earlier.

So is my compressor done for? Or is this something an oil and refrigerant charge can fix? If the compressor is in fact done for, can I tear it down and fix it? Or is it best to purchase a new one? Will I need to replace anything else in the system?

Compressor is done for , it will need to be replaced , and you must flush out the system , and replacing the orifice valve due to pieces of the seals from compressor in the lines and built up on the orifice valve screen. i had to do that twice now uggh

After the flush put a filter inline so you can catch any loose particles there might be,that way you might have to drain,replace filter and recharge 1 or 2 times in the future but it beats replacing another compressor and all that because it sucked some old crap into it.:D

Thanks guys. Can compressors be rebuilt?

Are there any guides on how to change the compressor, orifice, dryer, and flushing the system? I've never cracked into the sealed system. Just replaced a compressor clutch.

What all am I going to need?

Compressor
Orifice
Accumulator
O-rings
Inline Filter

Thank god I just got that job at autozone. 20% off FTW

There is a line with a little "can" like thing on it (it is a muffler believe it or not). I reaplace that when an AC on the 1st Gen dies, because crap can accumulate in that can and be difficult if not imporrible to remove. It is a dealer only item I think.

There is a line with a little "can" like thing on it (it is a muffler believe it or not). I reaplace that when an AC on the 1st Gen dies, because crap can accumulate in that can and be difficult if not imporrible to remove. It is a dealer only item I think.
I think you're talking about the accumulator/dryer. it is not a dealer only item.

Seems like most of the parts are Everco or Readyaire. Is either brand better?

Edit: After popping the hood, I see what you are talking about. Its on the high side between the compressor and condenser, right?

Air Conditioning Info, Parts, & Forum

You should be able to get all the parts you need at a local NAPA or Advance Discount Auto.
You'll notice that NAPA has a compressor change kit. The new compressor is only warranted if you change all the parts and add the correct amount of oil that the compressor manufacturer requires to be changed. Make friends with your local A/C guy. You may need him to validate the installation and that all parts were changed and the system was flushed.
Unless you have the tools and equipment and knowledge, you will need him to evac the system to eliminate any moisture and leak-check and then charge the system properly.
I am looking for a very tiny leak in my a/c system on my '94 and the shop I used for the vacuum and charge wanted to keep the car overnight. That's what you want. They kept the vacuum on it all night to check for leaks.

I am placing a link to http://www.ackits.com
In addition to parts, these people offer a great deal of information about A/C's.
Since your compressor failed, definitely read their info on "Compressor Failure - Black Death"
They also have a link to an A/C Forum where you may be able to get some additional info and help.
Sorry I got so winded there. but if you don't do all these things, the new $200+ compressor and the other new parts will be junk, and with the cost involved, do it once and do it right.
Bill

You should be able to get all the parts you need at a local NAPA or Advance Discount Auto.
You'll notice that NAPA has a compressor change kit. The new compressor is only warranted if you change all the parts and add the correct amount of oil that the compressor manufacturer requires to be changed. Make friends with your local A/C guy. You may need him to validate the installation and that all parts were changed and the system was flushed.
Unless you have the tools and equipment and knowledge, you will need him to evac the system to eliminate any moisture and leak-check and then charge the system properly.
I am looking for a very tiny leak in my a/c system on my '94 and the shop I used for the vacuum and charge wanted to keep the car overnight. That's what you want. They kept the vacuum on it all night to check for leaks.

I am placing a link to http://www.ackits.com
In addition to parts, these people offer a great deal of information about A/C's.
Since your compressor failed, definitely read their info on "Compressor Failure - Black Death"
They also have a link to an A/C Forum where you may be able to get some additional info and help.
Sorry I got so winded there. but if you don't do all these things, the new $200+ compressor and the other new parts will be junk, and with the cost involved, do it once and do it right.
Bill
I just purchased a compressor, orifice tube, and accumulator at Autozone (I work there and get 20% off)

I also got some foaming a/c system flush, that has a hose and rubber nozzle. I will be using that to backflush the system after removing the old parts.

I plan on taking it to a family mechanic to do the vac and recharge. I will be assembling the system myself after cleaning.

Do I need to oil the compressor myself? Or do I let the mechanic do that.

Also, thanks for that link. That should be very helpful

I plan on taking it to a family mechanic to do the vac and recharge. I will be assembling the system myself after cleaning.

Do I need to oil the compressor myself? Or do I let the mechanic do that.

If I can find the link, I will post it, but I think that I read that after flushing, you want to blow out all parts to insure that you get all/or as much of the flushing agent out as possible. Someone also suggested using dry nitrogen to blow it out as it would help to remove any moisture.
The amount of oil should be specified for the system and it said to pour X ounces into the compressor and the remaining oil into the new accumulator, receiver / dryer.

I'll look for the reference and post a link if I can find it, but you might just want to call the mechanic and ask.

I have two links for you from the ACKITS.COM site:

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=9172

http://www.autoacforum.com/attachments/FLUSHING TECHNICAL PAPER vs2.pdf

Also, check this out. At $36 plus shipping, it's an expensive little filter, but it's way cheaper than an new compressor and parts.
http://www.ackits.com/c/inlinefilters/Universal+In-line+Filters.html

If I can find the link, I will post it, but I think that I read that after flushing, you want to blow out all parts to insure that you get all/or as much of the flushing agent out as possible. Someone also suggested using dry nitrogen to blow it out as it would help to remove any moisture.
The amount of oil should be specified for the system and it said to pour X ounces into the compressor and the remaining oil into the new accumulator, receiver / dryer.

I'll look for the reference and post a link if I can find it, but you might just want to call the mechanic and ask.

I have two links for you from the ACKITS.COM site:

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=9172

http://www.autoacforum.com/attachments/FLUSHING TECHNICAL PAPER vs2.pdf

Also, check this out. At $36 plus shipping, it's an expensive little filter, but it's way cheaper than an new compressor and parts.
http://www.ackits.com/c/inlinefilters/Universal+In-line+Filters.html
Thanks for that info

Back