Stereo Overhaul

Sachem4

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Hello everyone,

I have decided to overhaul the entire basic factory audio system in my '03 Explorer XLT. The system right now is the basic factory one. I am looking for a new deck, new tweeters and/or components, and 2 subs with the necessary amps. I am new to the audio customization, and am looking for some help. Could anyone recommend me any of these parts? I am looking for as much quality as I can for under around 900 dollars. Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I am looking for in the system is powerful bass with good mid and high ranges.

Not sure on your budget, but Eclipse are outstanding head units. Infinity has some great component speakers for decent prices. As far as amps and subs go I've always loved MTX (I hit 145 db with my two tens!) but they're kind of spendy. Mostly don't skimp on the amp, subs, or wiring. Good luck and do a lot of shopping around, ebay, craigslist, crutchfield, then your local stores.

Kenwood and Pioneer make kick @55 headunits. I am very happy with mine.

I would recommend www.onlinecarstereo.com for most of the speakers.

My advice, get a headunit first, then speakers, then subs. You will build on your system with the money you have :p

Do you think I would have to install the speakers in new areas or can I use the factory setting? (two in the front kickboards two side boards)

Go to an audio shop and try out equipment. There are so many different brands and qualities out there. They can help you achieve what you want for your budget. I would push towards a smaller ma-pa custom shop over a big box store. The big box you may get lucky and get someone that knows their crap, but most likely not. I would say on the decent side you will be looking at spending $1000 or more if you want quality.

Do you think I would have to install the speakers in new areas or can I use the factory setting? (two in the front kickboards two side boards)

You would use the factory settings. You first have to research and see what size your speakers are in your vehicle. Search google, there is a bunch of good websites to do so

5x7 or 6x8 will fit in the factory openings. Most current manufacturers make them in this size. You may be able to fit round ones as well. Online audio retailers have info on what fits and what doesn't.

Here are the "what fits" pages for a few:

Online Car Stereo, Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix.

Hope this helps out!

You'll want a component set though not a 2 or 3 way 5x7 or 6x8. They sound 100 times better and most come with a crossover so you don't need an aftermarket one.

Would you guys recommend using two tweeters in the front of the car and two midranges in the middle?

You want your mids and highs as close to each other as possible otherwise you end up with sound gaps.

I mounted 5.25" (I think) mids and 1" tweets right in place of my factory speakers.

Ammo_Hooha: How did it sound? Was there any sound gaps?

Yes get tweeters. Mount them yourself. I'll show you where I mounted mine. Mine were 16 dollars a pair and I love them. I could tell an immediate difference in the sound quality. The highs sounded amazing.

I'll take some pics and post them here of where I mounted them. And the brand and stuff.

And as for the headunit. That one looks decent for the price, but its not a major namebrand so I cant say if its great or not. My recent one that I bought was a 276 dollar kenwood headunit and I think its great, but go check youtube for the pro's and con's.

Thanks, I need all the help I can get.

No gaps but then they're literally next to each other (they touch). IMHO JVC sucks.

dude look in to alpine i got a good system in my truck for just a tiny bit over a grand great bass and sound quality

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back