Section525's Hydro Assist | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525's Hydro Assist

I'll check a couple local shops.

After looking at that last picture I posted I thought maybe it would be smarter to make a diff cover mount. What does anyone think about that? That way I could change suspension types down the road and probably not have to worry about changing the mounts. Good idea? I could probably get a Ruff Stuff 3/8" cover here in a couple days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This new company called Under Cover Fab is having a deal for two diff covers for $150 shipped. Seems like a good deal on good products so I went ahead and ordered the d44 and 8.8. They also sell the d-ring mounts for only $9.99. So I picked up 4. Two for the rear bumper and two for future use. :cool:

Hopefully the stuff will be here by Saturday.

Here what they look like and what my new plan is.

Attachments

• dana-44-hd-diff-cover.jpg
    dana-44-hd-diff-cover.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 967
  • ford-hd-diff-cover.jpg
    ford-hd-diff-cover.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 834
  • render.jpg
    render.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 364

Kids gave me a second to tear the box off and apart tonight.

Good news: I found the problem. Something must have went wrong during re-assembly. :p:

Bad news: Will a bearing place be able to get an accurate measurement of this thing?? I'm thinking slim to none.

What do we think?

Attachments

• oring.jpg
    oring.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 347

As an update - I finally just took the bad seal into a local bearing shop, and they had the seal on the shelf.

It's a 19x32x7MM rubber coated double lip oil seal - comes right off the shelf.

Did you happen to replace the input shaft housing o-ring?

If that is an O-ring, then there's a good chance you'll be able to find one locally since O-rings are standardized. Maybe search up Google on the exact number or at least dimensions on the replacement O-ring so you'll have some knowledge when you hit the stores.

The bearing shop can get you a SAE o-ring; that's a metric one, and it will be real close.

I destroyed one too.

I guess if all else fails, maybe a Toyota dealer might have a rebuild kit or at least the O-ring on hand.

Talked to my hydraulics guy (Pa). He's taking it into the shop to set me up on Thursday. :thumbsup:

The Toyota rebuild kit is $108. The o-ring I need is $0.48. :(

But for future reference: My rough measurements of said o-ring are OD - 2.75", ID - 2.60", Cross Section - 0.11"

I'll update with the actual o-ring we use.

For future reference:

Here is the o-ring size for the input shaft housing of an FJ60 (and probably IFS?) steering box.

2 1/4" ID
2 7/16" OD
3/32" Cross Section

Attachments

• oring.jpg
    oring.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 327

Here is how far I got today. I just have to fit a couple tabs on the cover, maybe make some pretty gussets with speed holes and such, then do a little rehabilitation to my tie rod clamp (it was under water for two years).. and this project will be checked off.

Attachments

• assist.jpg
    assist.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 393

Tabs are in and its running. Seems to be working great from the little test drive I took it on. Still haven't but the shock on the driver's side (or oil in the diff for that matter). But all seems to be working.

Next time, don't angle the diff tabs too far to the passenger side. My bracket is just about as close as you can get to the leaf springs. If the wheels were turned all the way that direction I wouldn't be able to pull four of the six bolts off the tie rod clamp.

****ty cell phone pic:

Attachments

• assist2.jpg
    assist2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 314

so how you likin it so far? and got any better pics of your mounting points?

I still have to do some finish welding on the mounts, paint, etc. before I can actually try it out. I've just given it some turns in the driveway to check for leaks. That went well. :p: I'm down in SLO this weekend so it'll be another week before it gets done.

Back