timing belt snapped, replaced, no start. HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing belt snapped, replaced, no start. HELP!

cculter

Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 sport
Hello, I need some help here. My dad has a 93 ranger with 255,000 and the 2.3L. He was driving and the truck lurched forward, pulled over thinking he blew a tire, turned the truck off. No blown tire, Then the truck wouldn't start, he cranked it over a few times. We got it home and started checking things out, found out the timing belt snapped. I bought a new belt and installed it, matched up the crank and cam correctly, turned it over and nothing... I am really at a loss here. Even if it was off a tooth or 2 it should at least start. Did he do some damage when he was cranking on it on the side of the road?

Thanks, Chris

Well even if he Damaged the motor (ie bent the valves) it should still start and run. If abeit crappy but anyways

did you pull the valve cover off and verified that the Intake Valve is about to open when the timing mark is lined up?

Sounds like to me that the Valve timing might be 180 degrees out here.

Could also check to see if there is any compression in the motor too.

I suspect you are 180 out.

Checked everything again..no fire. checked spark and there was none, Checked the Crank position sensor and it was broken. One of the fins got bent on the hub and broke the sensor.

Back