How Bad Will 31x10s Throw My Speed Off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Bad Will 31x10s Throw My Speed Off

bigredexplo88

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
I have a 1997 Ford explorer just went from 235/75/15 to 31x10 15 how far will this throw my speed off, havent been able to drive it yet since im also replacing leaf spring shackles which after putting on the mud kings im itching to get it out and drive it in the mud but still waiting for leaf spring frame bushings to come in the mail from energy suspension:(. Also in order to make the speed accurate again what do i have to do? I Believe there is some gear i have to change but not sure....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

about 5mph at 50+ on average

i had apprx 3mph off. you can check it with a garmin gps

i have been pulled over twice since i put mine on. both times my speedo was @ 70mph on the highway and i was clocked at 78mph which the second time landed me a $170 ticket.

so in my truck @ 70mph it is off 8mph.

mine is off only by about 3-4 mph.

Is there anyway to get this repaired by taking it to a shop? Price?

From what i understand there is a speedo gear that i belive may be in the differential that needs to be changed according to the new tire size lift etc...i read a post on here a while back but now i cant seems to find it...

Speedometer Calibration

Turns out after searching the web for about an hour i finally found the site! I thought it was a post on here but i was wrong here it is: http://www.explorer4x4.com/speedo.html

From what i understand there is a speedo gear that i belive may be in the differential that needs to be changed according to the new tire size lift etc...i read a post on here a while back but now i cant seems to find it...

yeah the VSS. you can change that to compensate for the bigger tires, but from what i read and if i understood it correctly the odometer will still be off. the only way to correct both that is a programmer. if you dont care about the odometer the new VSS gear will do the trick.

thanks for the reply, odometer dont really bother me im going to be doing the 2001 sport trac white face cluster swap mod soon anyways, cluster i got has 10,000 more miles on it than original. :thumbsup:

thanks for the reply, odometer dont really bother me im going to be doing the 2001 sport trac white face cluster swap mod soon anyways, cluster i got has 10,000 more miles on it than original. :thumbsup:

no problem.

when you do the cluster swap you can "alter" the new cluster to the exact miles you have on the original one. not sure if you knew that or not. it takes awhile, but only being 10k off from the old one it shouldnt take all that long. all you need is a drill to do this. there is a thread floating around here w/instructions on how to do this. if your interested i'll try to find that thread for you.

im still looking for a white face cluster for my 97. :(

edit. just found the thread w/the odometer alter, it is in the cluster swap thread (duh, thats where i seen it), so im sure you know how to do that already so nevermind on that :)

and Hey, where you @ in Ohio?

Yea i have once done the mod on a 1995 ford ranger which is the truck i traded for my explorer. I actually wanted to keep my mileage on the truck(80,000) so i switched out the Odometer by removing the motor assembly and replacing with my original then when driving about a week later i got pulled over for doing 80 in a 55 and got a nice 160 doller fine for it. turns out my needle was sticking at 60 mph i believe i pressed the needle in too hard. I told myself ill never try to alter them again. however the drill thing may work alot better. I may give it some consideration. thanks for the info....I live in the Norwalk Area of Ohio.

Also Ebay usually has many of the sport track clusters thats where i bought the last 2 the problem is trying to find one near your mileage, Or if its a little more than your mileage, if its less and you actually plan on selling the explorer i would try to get the mileage over on the cluster because if you have less miles than what i you had when you signed your title thats when the DVM puts a flag on the title for Mileage Discreptincy But i have big plans for my Rig so it doesnt bother me:D

Do check the sellers Feedback on ebay though the last one i payed for the cluster and it never got shipped i currently have a case open with ebay now. if i would have just checked his feedback i would have seen hes done the same thing to like 2 other buyers.

Turns out after searching the web for about an hour i finally found the site! I thought it was a post on here but i was wrong here it is: http://www.explorer4x4.com/speedo.html
That probably wont work - I believe only the 1st generation Explorers used the mechanical VSS. 2nd generation used a hall effect sensor - no actual mechanical interface - its just a metal "tone ring" rotating in front of an electromagnetic transducer. In 98 and newer Explorer, the hall-effect VSS in the transfer case was removed all together and the VSS at the rear axle was used instead.

Here it is

l_69735e02843e4ce79a611046e2f7daf7.jpg

Yea your really not far at all i have actually been to wellington a few times looks like your just a little past there.

looks good.

yea we are pretty close. if you ever need a hand dont hesitate to ask. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back