A Primer on Code Readers and Scanners | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Primer on Code Readers and Scanners

Bill,
Which Brand/Model Scantool did you purchase for your 94 Explr?

I rebuilt my 94 tranny a couple years ago using the Glacier991 info plus the Frankentranny thread information. I actually ended up rebuilding mine to the Frankentranny. Working well to date. Thanks for posting.

Paul

Hey Paul,
I have the Actron Scantool CP9110F and it came with three cartridges, the CP9111F for GM/Saturn, CP9112 for Ford, and the CP9113 for Chrysler.
I have only used the Ford Cart so far. The box says it should have contained a user manual, but I did not find it in the box, so I am looking around for it on line.
I did connect it and read the live data and it works great, but there are many menu choices that I will have to study and learn.

As far as the transmission goes, I have read both Glacier991's http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146956 A4LD Rebuild Diary, and Brain's http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146953 Project Frankentranny.
It's going to take a re-read or two of both before I think I will be ready to tackle the project. Also, I am going to want to find a transmission to rebuild which will be a challenge around here. I do know of a 92 XLT in a local junk yard but I will have to look up differences first. The 92 only has 92K on it, but wouldn't move when it was towed in to the junk yard.
I would really rather rebuild mine since I know the maintenance history on it, but since it is my only vehicle, I don't know if I can be without it for the time it will take me to do the rebuild. It has had regular fluid and filter changes all of its 176K life and is still running strong. I am thinking of adding an external spin-on filter after the aux cooler based on what I have read here just to keep it clean from here on out. The last fluid/filter change did not find any significant metal in the pan.

Bill,
Which Brand/Model Scantool did you purchase for your 94 Explr?

I rebuilt my 94 tranny a couple years ago using the Glacier991 info plus the Frankentranny thread information. I actually ended up rebuilding mine to the Frankentranny. Working well to date. Thanks for posting.

Paul

Hey Paul,
I have the Actron Scantool CP9110F and it came with three cartridges, the CP9111F for GM/Saturn, CP9112 for Ford, and the CP9113 for Chrysler.
I have only used the Ford Cart so far. The box says it should have contained a user manual, but I did not find it in the box, so I am looking around for it on line. I have asked Actron to post or email the manual for the ford module since the GM and Chrysler are still available for download.
I did connect it and read the live data and it works great, but there are many menu choices that I will have to study and learn.

As far as the transmission goes, I have read both Glacier991's http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146956 A4LD Rebuild Diary, and Brain's http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146953 Project Frankentranny.
It's going to take a re-read or two of both before I think I will be ready to tackle the project. Also, I am going to want to find a transmission to rebuild which will be a challenge around here. I do know of a 92 XLT in a local junk yard but I will have to look up differences first. The 92 only has 92K on it, but wouldn't move when it was towed in to the junk yard.
I would really rather rebuild mine since I know the maintenance history on it, but since it is my only vehicle, I don't know if I can be without it for the time it will take me to do the rebuild. It has had regular fluid and filter changes all of its 176K life and is still running strong. I am thinking of adding an external spin-on filter after the aux cooler based on what I have read here just to keep it clean from here on out. The last fluid/filter change did not find any significant metal in the pan.

Back