ABS light on, OBD scanner won't return data at all | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on, OBD scanner won't return data at all

peakcomp

Reaction score
City, State
Port Angeles, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Schucks tells me that my boyfriends Explorer has a bad PCM or computer due to it not returning anything when attempting to scan for the codes...

The ABS light is permanently on, can't scan for codes, and the vehicle has a 'miss' that sounds like it has a plugged fuel filter...We replaced the fuel filter, same miss exists.

Any ideas? Can the miss be tied to a fried PCM that isn't mixing oxygen and fuel correctly thereby making the vehicle miss badly?

Please advise.

Thanks guys!

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

odds are high that you have a blown fuse... check ALL fuses.

OK first the PCM scan at schucks wont give you any codes for an abs light only a check engine light. I know there is a way to get the actual abs code, but your low end scanners don't read that deep. You can start going through the vehicle and checking for any problem at the abs sensor points: rear diff, both front bearings, and There's a few I can't remember. An abs light can get thrown when anything at any point doesn't "check out". Mine threw right before a front bearing/ hub seized up. Good luck.

The OBD scanner wouldn't return anything what so ever. Not just for the ABS light...but, it wouldn't establish a data connection with the scanner. Pointing to the PCM being fried?

Ken

If you can find a store that has an ABS scan tool on a loaner program do that. If not you can get a local shop to pull the codes for you to see where the problem is. If your ABS fuse is good still, I'm willing to bet one of your front wheel speed sensor is plugged up with grease from a bad wheel bearing. Outside of the blown fuse the most common problem is the ABS tone ring be clogged up that sends a false reading to the sensor, which pops a code for a bad speed sensor. Fortunately, the only way to prevent the code showing up again (if it's the front speed sensor) is to replace the front hubs. If it is the rear speed sensor, you can try to clean the tone ring (I believe the rear tone ring is a serviceable part). If cleaning the rear tone ring doesn't work than try to replace the rear sensor for the wheel. Out side of that, I would recommend a shop to repair it if it's more involved than that.

As for the OBD scanner, was the ignition turned of or on? For the scanner to read the computer the ignition needs to be in the ON position. When you clear codes, you'll turn off the ignition when the scanner tells you to, then back on a few seconds later (around 10 seconds, depending on the model of the scanner). Try reconnecting the scanner, making sure the scanner is fully engaged and locked. I'm pretty sure if your PCM was fried, That you would have serious running, idling, and shifting issues if it would even run all together.

I did check and hold the connection together...the machine recognized that it was connected..but it couldn't scan the computer..i believe it errored out if i remember correctly.

The ignition was off when plugged in, then the machine advised to turn ignition to the on position. Even after attempting this numerous times, it would not scan anything.

The Schucks guy said if it wasn't pulling data, then it is the PCM of the vehicle needing replaced. ?

Ken

I pulled this off of a web site, which sounds like to me the software on the reader is out of date. Here's the link: http://www.canobd2.com/Articles/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleId=50aa95d02f5a4e3ba78770f3073ab01b&ReturnUrl=/Support/FAQs.aspx

And here's the problem it sounds like your having.

Q: Why does the “Unable to establish link” message display?
A: The “Unable to establish link” message indicates that the Code Reader was not able to establish a link with the vehicle’s computer. Check the cable connections at the vehicle’s Data Link Connector (DLC) and at the Code Reader. Turn the ignition off, wait 10 ~ 12 seconds, then turn the ignition back on to reset the vehicle’s computer.

NOTE: If you continue to receive the “Unable to establish link” message, try starting the vehicle first, then connect the Code Reader to the vehicle’s DLC with the engine running. If the condition continues, it may be necessary to update the Code Reader firmware. If you are still unable to link to your vehicle after performing these steps, please contact our technical support team for additional assistance.

I'm not sure what the make and model of the code reader is, but this is the more popular one where I am. Before you try replacing your PCM try another code reader or take it to a local shop to pull the codes.

As for pulling the codes for your ABS, you need an ABS reader, which is completely different and more expensive. Not to many auto parts stores have on available on a loan a tool program, which means your stuck paying a couple hundred bucks or just over a hundred to get it hooked up to the computer at the shop. Hope this helps.

Definitely get to a different shop and have them try to read your PCM before you start replacing stuff.

The miss was simply a cracked spark plug, to which we replaced all 6 of them. 100% better performance. ABS light still on. Checked all fuses, next we are going to check the differential fluid and the sensor attached to the rear differential as well.

Ken

Schucks tells me that my boyfriends Explorer has a bad PCM or computer due to it not returning anything when attempting to scan for the codes...

The ABS light is permanently on, can't scan for codes, and the vehicle has a 'miss' that sounds like it has a plugged fuel filter...We replaced the fuel filter, same miss exists.

Any ideas? Can the miss be tied to a fried PCM that isn't mixing oxygen and fuel correctly thereby making the vehicle miss badly?

Please advise.

Thanks guys!

Ken

Back